Options

40" x 60" prints?

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited December 22, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a customer asking for 40" x 60" prints. Anyone know where I can get quality 40" x 60" prints of my 8 megapixel images?
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    I use colorenlargement.com for large-sizes prints, they do excellent work.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    I have a customer asking for 40" x 60" prints. Anyone know where I can get quality 40" x 60" prints of my 8 megapixel images?

http://www.bigposters.com/ - highly recommended!
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    They must be willing to pay pretty well. Prints that big aren't cheap at wholesale prices.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    BeachBill,
    I suggest that you determine how your customer intends to display these images. If they only want a loose printed image to display like a poster then you're good to go. However, if they want something more "archival" then I suggest that there are additional considerations. Most standard mat boards go up to 40" only, same with plexi sheets. Anything larger and you may find yourself looking at special or custom sizes, which equals $$. If they intend to have the images mounted on gatorboard or heavy foamcore with no mat or frame then you're probably ok. However, if the installation requires a frame and UV filtering plexi or glass (say to protect the image from UV exposure if it will be in a location that receives sunlight) then the size of your prints may pose some challenges and incur additional costs for you or your client (depending on what you are expected to deliver). Incidentally, if they do want these images mounted insist that the printing lab or framing shop do it on a press or vacuum machine - the customer probably won't like the results of spray mounting such a large image themselves.

I'd call an art framing shop and inquire about these issues. If you want to print locally then check with your area photo printers or reprographics shops. You'll also need to decide what kind of longevity you want for your prints. Keep in mind that many of the lower cost large image printing technologies are targetted for trade shows or business presentations, where longevity beyond 3-5 years is not an issue. If you want more longevity out of these images then you will probably need to choose between a large format inkjet, or whether you prefer a large laser printer (like a Durst Lambda). 100 year museum quality may be overkill, but 3-5 years is probably inadequate as well. Considering that you are in Vegas, I'd be surprised if you couldn't locate everything that you need in town.

If you are only providing the print then I'd at least ask the customer how they intend to mount and display the image. If you find that they haven't thought it through you may want to suggest that they investigate these issues with their local art framing shop, or that they purchase a smaller image.

BTW, Congratulations and good luck.
    ERF
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    http://www.bigposters.com/ - highly recommended!
    +1
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Thanks for the pointers.

I've been in contact with bigposters about their giclee 40x60 prints. Pricing is not too bad.

Anyone know how they compare to Smugmug in quality and customer satisfaction?
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    www.ritzpix.com can do that size. I got a 12x12 done there (Ritz Camera local, done in an hour) and if it's done on the same machine - then I can say the quality is very nice. I liked that I could order online/upload image but didn't have to pay until I picked up the print. My print was actually ready in about 6 minutes - they aren't usually very busy.

:D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Thanks for the pointers.

I've been in contact with bigposters about their giclee 40x60 prints. Pricing is not too bad.

Anyone know how they compare to Smugmug in quality and customer satisfaction?

Andy and I both recommend them on all counts.
  • Options
    EMCEMC Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    I have a customer wanting to purchase a .jpg file to have a 'life size poster' made for a gift (http://www.digital-diva.smugmug.com/gallery/2795915#158775892) - I currently do not have digital downloads enabled, but am willing to do so for the one requested picture. My question - the file I have uploaded is 23364x3504 1.13 mb Resolution 72. Would I need to modify the resolution size etc and replace the picture for his Digital purchase? If so, what would you suggest or are there guidelines somewere? Will the picture even print a "life size poster" (?)