My Car

Got boost??Got boost?? Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Landscapes
ok i went out and took some pics last night.. i would like any help anyone can give or suggestions i do want to progress and get better with my photography heres the pics :D

p.s- i didnt know where to post these so i figured i would try here lmk if they should be somewhere else

(im using a canon rebel xti with the stock lens)

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

messing with long exposures.. u can kinda see threw the hood lol

IMG_4773.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    I think it's cool that you got the lights to turn into starbursts!

The main thing about these is I think the lack of a straight horizon. I think angled shots are fine, especially with something like car photography but I kind of wish just one was even. Shots like #3 are supposed to be level, unless you're trying to test out the parking brake lol3.gif

I'm not expert with car shots, but I have noticed that getting really low angles is very flattering to the vehicle and makes it look more "aggressive."

Not sure what I'm even looking at under the hood so I can't offer any advice about that. :D

I think #4 has the most potential!
  • Got boost??Got boost?? Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I think it's cool that you got the lights to turn into starbursts!

The main thing about these is I think the lack of a straight horizon. I think angled shots are fine, especially with something like car photography but I kind of wish just one was even. Shots like #3 are supposed to be level, unless you're trying to test out the parking brake lol3.gif

I'm not expert with car shots, but I have noticed that getting really low angles is very flattering to the vehicle and makes it look more "aggressive."

Not sure what I'm even looking at under the hood so I can't offer any advice about that. :D

I think #4 has the most potential!

under the hood is nothing special i just like showing off my 15 year old cleanlyness! lol but thanks for the advice on that but you think the shots should be more level
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Your andgles in 2, 4, and the last one are good. The biggest issue is that they are too dark. For shooting at night you are going to need some off camera flash to help light the car.

If you don't have that gear you can use flood lights or the monster flashlights found at Wal-Mart and then diffuse them by placing a semi transparent cover over the light (off white cloth or plastic).

Even easier- return to the garage in the daytime. The garage should have some nice even light near the ends depending upon the suns angle.

If I had a nice car- I would show you. rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited December 4, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Your andgles in 2, 4, and the last one are good. The biggest issue is that they are too dark. For shooting at night you are going to need some off camera flash to help light the car.

If you don't have that gear you can use flood lights or the monster flashlights found at Wal-Mart and then diffuse them by placing a semi transparent cover over the light (off white cloth or plastic).

Even easier- return to the garage in the daytime. The garage should have some nice even light near the ends depending upon the suns angle.

If I had a nice car- I would show you. rolleyes1.gif

lol i understand but you said about the daytime is that i like night shots of black cars... iknow its a jard mix but i want to learn it better... i would like to get some off camera flash/light to light the car but idk how i would angle the light...(pic 2and 4)
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    lol i understand but you said about the daytime is that i like night shots of black cars... iknow its a jard mix but i want to learn it better... i would like to get some off camera flash/light to light the car but idk how i would angle the light...(pic 2and 4)

Good thing about digital is you can set up your lights- take a few shots- check in camera- and then make adjustments. deal.gif:D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited December 5, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Good thing about digital is you can set up your lights- take a few shots- check in camera- and then make adjustments. deal.gif:D

yea thats what im trying learn are all the adjustments... its my first DSLR and i really have no idea about 3/4s of the settings on it... i want my pictures to come out more clean and crisp than they are now and was just trying to get some info on how to acheive this.. i have the camera at a 10 sec s/s with it auto focusing on the rim. the white balace was flouresant light and the iso at 100 and it doesnt look like they came out to clear to me..... maby having the stock lens has something to do with this?
  • Code BlueCode Blue Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    would something like HDR help him at all? I've been reading about the process, seems like this would be perfect !
    My Equipment:
    Canon 20d + Grip / Canon 580 EX / Canon 17-40L / Canon 24-105L / Canon 70-200 f2.8 ISL / Mannfrotto 055MF3 Tripod w/329RC4 Head.

Hoping to get back into the art and improve my skills whenever needed.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    The nissan 200sx ( silvia ) S13...Fun car to drive indeed. But you should let her breath properly..Get rid of that strangeling airfilterbox =);)

I like the pics. Looks kinda industrial and gives the right feeling i think.
    edited December 5, 2007
    Arvan wrote:
    The nissan 200sx ( silvia ) S13...Fun car to drive indeed. But you should let her breath properly..Get rid of that strangeling airfilterbox =);)

I like the pics. Looks kinda industrial and gives the right feeling i think.

dont get me wrong i like the way they look i just think they could have came out clearer