Options

Rescued Horse

AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
edited December 6, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
A friend of mine took delievery of a horse that had been rescued from a feed lot. She asked me to take some pictures of it when he arrived.
I asked her to send info about the horse.
This is "Gunner" - and 18 year old registered thoroughbred - rescued off of a feedlot in Washington State.
This is the last stop before heading to a brutal and horrific end in a Canadian or Mexican slaughter house.
C&C ALWAYS WELCOME....THANKS FOR LOOKING..

228442067-L.jpg

228462997-L.jpg

228444308-L.jpg

228440929-L.jpg

[/COLOR]

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Azzaro wrote:
    A friend of mine took delievery of a horse that had been rescued from a feed lot. She asked me to take some pictures of it when he arrived.
    I asked her to send info about the horse.
    This is "Gunner" - and 18 year old registered thoroughbred - rescued off of a feedlot in Washington State.
    This is the last stop before heading to a brutal and horrific end in a Canadian or Mexican slaughter house.
    C&C ALWAYS WELCOME....THANKS FOR LOOKING..
    [/color]

Hi there Azzaro,
    Some people should never be allowed to own animals, or kids sometimes.
    I wish they would make it law that you cannot own a cat or a dog that has not been desexed unless you are a registered breeder.

This is the time of year where animals are dumped in great numbers,
    here in Australia.

I don't understand why people are cruel to animals
    I just fail to grasp how anyone can do it, but it happens. :cry

I'm glad the horse has been given a second chance at life.
    Hope it responds really well to some Tender Loving Care.

Thanks for sharing ......... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Azzaro,
    Some people should never be allowed to own animals, or kids sometimes.
    I wish they would make it law that you cannot own a cat or a dog that has not been desexed unless you are a registered breeder.

This is the time of year where animals are dumped in great numbers,
    here in Australia.

I don't understand why people are cruel to animals
    I just fail to grasp how anyone can do it, but it happens. :cry

I'm glad the horse has been given a second chance at life.
    Hope it responds really well to some Tender Loving Care.

Thanks for sharing ......... Skippy :D

Thanks for your comment Skippy.......I will forward your comment to her. azzaro
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited December 4, 2007
    The second photo is a real beauty. I think the horse must know that he's found a loving home.

--- Denise
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    #2 is a great shot of the horse and the new owner. In the first shot, Gunner looks really thin, I hope she's feeding him well! (And I'm sure she is) Look good to me, but I don't know much about horse photography.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    jziegler wrote:
    #2 is a great shot of the horse and the new owner. In the first shot, Gunner looks really thin, I hope she's feeding him well! (And I'm sure she is) Look good to me, but I don't know much about horse photography.

Thanks for commenting........Gunner showed up that thin...The pic was shot in the first hour of his arrival...He may have been under fed or he needs his teeth floated..If a horse can't chew his food properly due to dental problems he will loose weight. azzaro
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    The second photo is a real beauty. I think the horse must know that he's found a loving home.

--- Denise[/quote
    Thanks for commenting Denise....The second photo is her favorite too.....azzaro
  • Options
    ABCapturesABCaptures Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    awe, great pics.. before and after pics are always really nice to have! I hope you can keep us updated on his progress, his head shape makes him actually look like an apendix breed horse (thoroughbred cross with quarter horse) I would be interested to read how many hands he is...

I love thoroughbreds.. i owned quite a few growing up that came from the tracks.. its heart breaking what some animals go through at slaughter houses.. not to mentain horrific! I actually have a website for "Save americas horses"

while that horse is thin he looks pretty good, ive done some work with spca down here (horses and other farm animals) and some that are literally holding on by the skin of their teeth, its refreshing to see a "rescue" that looks better than most, means that horse has a good chance of looking amazing very soon. clap.gif big thumbs up from me for the rescue.. i hope to do more rescue work when we move somewhere with more land.

From a c&c stand point, i love the third pic "ears forward" shows hes alert and paying attention, the second picture is very nice also.. it shows her love for him already and he looks curious, the backround is a bit distracting and both their bodies looks funny because of the angle (of their bodies not really of photo) like shes standing beneath/behind him but thats just me being picky since i know horses as well as i do..his ears forward make it very nice too, a photo of her hugging him, both looking at camera would be a very nice shot (i have lots of those from growing up, my most treasured horse photos) just a thouhgt for next time ;)
    Hi, I'm Ashley
    *Love every creature*
    Gear: Canon Rebel XTi 18-55mm & 75-300mm

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    It's a beautiful thing your friend did, something that i have long wished I could do! There are so many thoroughbreds that need homes after their racing days but keeping a horse (not even for riding, just a very large pet) is not possible for everyone.

I think the second photo is so beautiful because Gunner doesn't look old or tired or unhealthy in the least.

I hope he's happy in his new home!
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    ABCaptures wrote:
    awe, great pics.. before and after pics are always really nice to have! I hope you can keep us updated on his progress, his head shape makes him actually look like an apendix breed horse (thoroughbred cross with quarter horse) I would be interested to read how many hands he is...

I love thoroughbreds.. i owned quite a few growing up that came from the tracks.. its heart breaking what some animals go through at slaughter houses.. not to mentain horrific! I actually have a website for "Save americas horses"

while that horse is thin he looks pretty good, ive done some work with spca down here (horses and other farm animals) and some that are literally holding on by the skin of their teeth, its refreshing to see a "rescue" that looks better than most, means that horse has a good chance of looking amazing very soon. clap.gif big thumbs up from me for the rescue.. i hope to do more rescue work when we move somewhere with more land.

From a c&c stand point, i love the third pic "ears forward" shows hes alert and paying attention, the second picture is very nice also.. it shows her love for him already and he looks curious, the backround is a bit distracting and both their bodies looks funny because of the angle (of their bodies not really of photo) like shes standing beneath/behind him but thats just me being picky since i know horses as well as i do..his ears forward make it very nice too, a photo of her hugging him, both looking at camera would be a very nice shot (i have lots of those from growing up, my most treasured horse photos) just a thouhgt for next time ;)

THanks for looking and the C&C.....WHen Gunner looks better, I will take some shots and share them.....Sherry saved another horse (that had a bowed tendon) a couple of years ago and he is still with her....I will forward your comments and website to her.....azzaro
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    It's a beautiful thing your friend did, something that i have long wished I could do! There are so many thoroughbreds that need homes after their racing days but keeping a horse (not even for riding, just a very large pet) is not possible for everyone.

I think the second photo is so beautiful because Gunner doesn't look old or tired or unhealthy in the least.

I hope he's happy in his new home![/quote

THanks Schmoo for your comments....keeping a horse isn't possible for everyone ..... I have a horse and it's more like a way of life.......azzaro
  • Options
    justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Rescue
    What a great story. All too many times they don't end this happy. Especially this time of year when the racetracks are shut down, the horses are shipped right through to Mexico (I see the truck fulls every day here).

I too live with horses. There's no better way of life! God bless your friend. Keep us posted on progress. She'll cherish those before and after shots before long!

Happy Holidays!clap.gif
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    justus wrote:
    What a great story. All too many times they don't end this happy. Especially this time of year when the racetracks are shut down, the horses are shipped right through to Mexico (I see the truck fulls every day here).

I too live with horses. There's no better way of life! God bless your friend. Keep us posted on progress. She'll cherish those before and after shots before long!

Happy Holidays!clap.gif
    Thanks for commenting......I will forward your comment to her....azzaro