Options

Portraits from Dec 1 wedding

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited December 7, 2007 in Weddings
Happy holidays, y'all!

Last wedding of the year....ready for a break! I am somewhat disappointed I couldn't maintain the same level of creativity and technical merit in the hectic wedding day as their engagement session.

C&C welcome.

228988477-L-1.jpg

2. (this one didn't look soft in Lightroom but it looks so now after uploading to SM?)
228981944-L-1.jpg

228985344-L-1.jpg

4. Their venue was a ca. 1970's cave of a church and I was lucky they agreed to walk a block to do some portraits in front of this old building...but considering it was 28 degrees outside I had to work FAST...and I missed some details (like her flower placement...:bash)
228989729-L-1.jpg

228987808-L-1.jpg

6. Asking who got a lap dance last weekend at the bachelor party usually works to loosen them up. :D
228983342-L-1.jpg

7. and one of my faves from the day...
228980893-L-1.jpg

I may post some more from the reception later this week...it was a blast! thanks for looking!

ETA: Updated link to their engagement session gallery. Sorry about that!
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    These are beautiful. No disappointment here. Thanks for sharing.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Hi Lynne,

I think that the couple would love these! There are always a few things that one could nitpick, but I believe that there are very nice.thumb.gif

That last one is absolutely gorgeous. iloveyou.gif

Nice work and thanks for sharing...

Lee
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    Thank you Cuong and Lee for your comments!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Not all my critics are hard
    Well Lynne,

What would a post from me be without a detailed critic? :D Here goes:
    1. Bride at window - Not creative enough for you. This is gold in my book. Might have angled her a bit more towards the window to light her left shoulder a bit more - but I doubt it.
    2. B&W Bride - not the winner in my book. Doesn't make me believe she's feeling happy.
    3. Back of Bride - this is kinda cool. I like that we can see the emotion in the groom's face - or at least imagine that we can...
    4. B&W Bride at Wall - Missed details...I think it lends character to the shot, though the shot doesn't need any more character. This is a very strong image.
    5. Bride & Groom - OK, I'm seeing adoration in his face. This is nice. A little fill flash for her eyes would have helped it just that little bit.
    6. The Guys - would have been a very moody shot had they not all been smiling. I think this treatment applied to the shot that came right before the "lap dance question" would be killer.
    7. Eyelashes - I would crop this a little higher on the bottom as the cleavage, for me, is a distractor. Very nice photograph!

Well, that wasn't too bad, now was it. I think these all rank 8+ (out of 10). Job well done!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Oh, I remember this couple! Very photographable! What a stunning dress, and she looks amazing in it.

I love how the light is working in the first shot.
    I like how striking her eyes are in the second shot, and her hair and jewelry are lovely. The expression feels a little caught off guard, IMO, but if I remember right (and from what I see here), maybe she's not one to be overly exhuberant?
    I really like the comp on #3...great dress again and I like seeing him in the bg.
    #4 is very interesting and modern to me...there are lots of great lines going on and her flower placement seems purposeful to me...seems to suit the setting. What would you have done differently?
    Both their expressions are sincere and warm on #5. It would appear that you did use fill flash (and it looks just right to my eyes).
    Wow...what a large group of groomsmen! Did the bride have 9 attendants as well? I'm not sure if I might prefer this with different pp, but that's just me.
    #7 - Stunning! I love all the subtle lines of her face, hair and jewelry. My one small nit/idea would be to try and very subtly "remove" what appears to be a small clump in her mascara on the right set of lashes. That little spot keeps drawing my eye.

All in all...more wonderfulness from Lynne! clap.gif Look forward to seeing more!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Very nice set! I think they will be really happy with these. My only disappointment in these stems from the subjects and not the photography. It's just odd seeing wedding photos without some smiles, but that's just me! :D I like the lighting in #1 and her pose shows the detail of her dress well (that's important too). #3 works very well, especially with the interesting dress she is wearing. #5 I love his tender expression...good to see some emotion! #7 I always love the angle of this type of shot. Unlike Scott, the slight cleavage (really just a shadow) doesn't distract but adds to the shot for me. ne_nau.gif The only distraction for me is how much mascara a bride chooses to use! FYI: your link goes to the wedding (not engagement) gallery, but I was able to see the rest of the wedding shots so that was great. I think I somehow missed the engagement shots of these two.....could you repost it here? Great set Lynne, and I hope you post more!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Happy Holidays to you Lynne.

These are the perfect examples of why I am going to fly you down to shoot my next wedding!!!(knock on wood......I hope to celebrate 22 years in my current marriage in May!!)

1. I am really digging the light, and shadows in this shot. I am wondering how it would have looked had you panned left a tad to include more window frame, but my guess is undesirable elements outside the window maybe. I hope you got more in this light....like a 3/4 length shot in particular, but my guess is that you did. Again, lovely lighting.

2 I have to agree with Scott on this one. It isn't screaming "frame me". Other than the expression, I would think it would have been improved had the earring also been in sharp focus....But that is a matter of taste.

3 The "back of the wedding dress" shot is a must have for a dress like this, and it would have been a pretty nice shot of her alone. However by including him, albeit out of focus, it is .......well it is what you do. It is beautiful. One question. Where was the "LynneTilt" on this one?mwink.gif

4. I am not crazy about all the negative space above her. I have no issues with the flowers, pose or anything else, but for me it works better as a square crop.

5 Dejas vous.......(however its spelledrolleyes1.gif )....I think I remember seeing a very similar pose and expression in their Esession photos you posted. I still like it!!!

6 I am liking this one, but would like it even more if the lights and poles behind them would just go away. I am really digging the trees though!

7 THIS.....in my opinion....is the one screaming "frame me". Very artistic look. I think they need two of these in 20x30 on canvas. One for home and one for the office. I am not sure I would call it a portrait. It borders on abstract....but it is a very very beautiful image. The cleavage doesn't bother me( not sure that came out right!!), but if you think it is a distractor, you might want to just dodge it a little rather than crop. I like it all....focus,exposure,framing,and conversion........bowdown.gif Sweet!!!

WEll....theres my $.02. You can spend it at the merchant of your choice.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I think I somehow missed the engagement shots of these two.....could you repost it here?

I found the thread for her e-session...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=72338
    Elaine

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Elaine wrote:

Yup....it was number 9. Sheesh I forgot how awesome the engagement shots were. Nice job Lynne. Again.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    Well Lynne,

What would a post from me be without a detailed critic? :D Here goes:
    1. Bride at window - Not creative enough for you. This is gold in my book. Might have angled her a bit more towards the window to light her left shoulder a bit more - but I doubt it.
    2. B&W Bride - not the winner in my book. Doesn't make me believe she's feeling happy.
    3. Back of Bride - this is kinda cool. I like that we can see the emotion in the groom's face - or at least imagine that we can...
    4. B&W Bride at Wall - Missed details...I think it lends character to the shot, though the shot doesn't need any more character. This is a very strong image.
    5. Bride & Groom - OK, I'm seeing adoration in his face. This is nice. A little fill flash for her eyes would have helped it just that little bit.
    6. The Guys - would have been a very moody shot had they not all been smiling. I think this treatment applied to the shot that came right before the "lap dance question" would be killer.
    7. Eyelashes - I would crop this a little higher on the bottom as the cleavage, for me, is a distractor. Very nice photograph!
    Well, that wasn't too bad, now was it. I think these all rank 8+ (out of 10). Job well done!

You went easy on me dude! Glad you like the first one, it is a tiny bit soft but it was one I thought the light worked real nice. IS was off whoops. eek7.gif

The second one isn't for everyone. I have to say also, that unlike most of the population, she actually looks prettier when she's NOT smiling. Also, with that amount of black eye makeup, they would disappear almost entirely when she did! :)

IMVHO, a bride need not look happy in all her pictures, because to be quite honest, brides these days really want to look HOT. They're wearing sexy dresses, sexy makeup....because they want to look like the models in the bridal magazines. I certainly don't blame them, just something to consider. Regional and demographic trends may differ of course!

Re: #3, there were a few focused on him that I liked too...
    228984123-M-1.jpg

I do think you're right about #6. I initially went in trying to get the moody, but these guys weren't exactly, er, cooperative....so I went for the laughs instead. Can't win em all. I'm not real happy with those. It is tough when the groomsmen are mocking you for doing your job. "what the @#%$ are we doing outside? do you think she has enough camera gear on her?" Even during the ceremony they were making comments about my second shooter..."oh there's another shot, whoa wait she's gonna take your picture.....oooohhh!" it was really rude, but I guess guys can be that way. To that end, I need to get better at directing in general. I am terrible at it, I freeze up and don't know what to say!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Oh, I remember this couple! Very photographable! What a stunning dress, and she looks amazing in it.

I love how the light is working in the first shot.
    I like how striking her eyes are in the second shot, and her hair and jewelry are lovely. The expression feels a little caught off guard, IMO, but if I remember right (and from what I see here), maybe she's not one to be overly exhuberant?
    I really like the comp on #3...great dress again and I like seeing him in the bg.
    #4 is very interesting and modern to me...there are lots of great lines going on and her flower placement seems purposeful to me...seems to suit the setting. What would you have done differently?
    Both their expressions are sincere and warm on #5. It would appear that you did use fill flash (and it looks just right to my eyes).
    Wow...what a large group of groomsmen! Did the bride have 9 attendants as well? I'm not sure if I might prefer this with different pp, but that's just me.
    #7 - Stunning! I love all the subtle lines of her face, hair and jewelry. My one small nit/idea would be to try and very subtly "remove" what appears to be a small clump in her mascara on the right set of lashes. That little spot keeps drawing my eye.

All in all...more wonderfulness from Lynne! clap.gif Look forward to seeing more!

Thank you Elaine! I did use fill in 5 although now wished I'd used a teeny bit more. With her dark eyes and makeup it was a challenge. And I have that teensy tiny 20D LCD so I never look at that much while shooting, just the histo...How's that 40D treatin' ya btw!? :D

In #4, I wish her left wrist was rotated so the flowers rested against her body, and the head of the bouquet facing me. It looks awkward to me as it is, but I'm VERY relieved to hear it doesn't jump out at you guys with trained eyes.

THanks for the compliment on 7, I agree the mascara needs some cleaning up esp if they order this one. We'll see!!!

There were 7 groomsmen and 2 ushers. I used fill on this one and am not liking the flashiness. I haven't settled on a BW conversion I like, so any issues you notice are helpful!

Thanks again for your comments!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    To that end, I need to get better at directing in general. I am terrible at it, I freeze up and don't know what to say!!!
    I just tell them to shape up or they will have to answer to the boss - the bride. Then, jokingly start to get a little pushy. It seems to go over pretty good.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    How's that 40D treatin' ya btw!? :D

In #4, I wish her left wrist was rotated so the flowers rested against her body, and the head of the bouquet facing me. It looks awkward to me as it is, but I'm VERY relieved to hear it doesn't jump out at you guys with trained eyes.

Thanks again for your comments!

I am LOVIN' the 40D!!! As well as the lenses...thanks to you and Scott for heartily recommending the 17-55 IS. :D

I think if her flowers were against her dress they might completely disappear. With her other hand on her hip and the position of her head, her out-turned arm adds to the look of a very modern bride, almost like a fashion shoot bride rather than a real one, which seems to suit this couple. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D
    Elaine

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Elaine wrote:

Thanks, Elaine....I actually did see this thread, but I didn't recognize the bride with her hair up! :D
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I am LOVIN' the 40D!!! As well as the lenses...thanks to you and Scott for heartily recommending the 17-55 IS. :D
    I'll be looking for the consulting fee in my mail any day now! :D

I'm so glad you like the lens. Each time I recommend a lens and the person goes and buys that lens, you always wonder, "Are they going to be happy with it or are they going to come after me and stalk me to the end of my days!" So, I'm really glad you like the lens!