Options

What's your macbook (or MBpro) workflow?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I recently purchase a macbook thus marking the beginning of my move away from Windows (I have Vista on a desktop PC). I'm having trouble figuring out where the Macbook fits in a workflow though.

Currently, I upload via CF reader to the Vista desktop and edit in LR 1.3. The Vista has a 500gb SATA drive thus allowing for adequate storage of my photos. I have a 320gb external that I use for backup.

The Vista is connected to an Aiport Extreme via ethernet wire and the Mac accessess this via 802.11n. I also have a great NEC monitor and have plugged the Mac to this via the mini-DVI adaptor.

My thought process in regards to photography work is that the Macbook would be great for vacation work - rating and keywording photos as well as offloading the CF cards. The screen is inadequate for development work so, considering the PC and Mac are both running LR and the photos reside in the PC, I don't see the point in using the Macbook in closed lid mode for photo processing.

I will use it for other functions such as trying out Fotomagico and other Mac-only programs but am wondering how the more expert/seasoned macbook (pro) users use their laptops in the PP workflow. Where do your photos reside? On a NAS? Do you see any reason for me to try to shoehorn the macbook into my current PP workflow?

Thanks,
E

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    In that situation, I would use the MBP when I needed to (on vacation), and then transfer the images to the main machine, keeping all the photos in one place.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    I think you have articlated well the issue here: it isn't about whether Mac or PC can perform photo editting better or worse, that really comes down to the hardware you use/can afford.

This really comes down to with OS you prefer. LR and Photoshop work the same in either OS.

If you like Mac OS better, then use that...move your workflow to it. If you like Windows, stay with it. Sounds like you are fine with Windows, so I can think of no compelling reason to move.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    Thanks guys.
    It's really more of a laptop vs desktop question I think. As no laptop has an S-IPS panel, a dedicated monitor is a necessity. Also, laptop drives haven't reached the capacity (let alone cost per gig) of desktops. So an external solution for storing images is also necessary.
    That being said, I'm sure many people here are using their laptops for PP. For those of you out there (especially on a macbook/pro), how do you do it? CF to _____ then PP on ____ using ____ and store photos on _____.
    E
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    Lightroom.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Lightroom.

And all of your photos are on the laptop drive?
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    And all of your photos are on the laptop drive?

No, like I said, I move them to my MacPro. But my workflow is Lightroom/Photoshop. Use LR to import off the card, to catalog, to do the bulk of your processing, upload directly to SmugMug, and then use PS for the stuff that LR doesn't cover.

I hate processing on the laptop. The desktop monitors are a world of difference.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    Got it. Misunderstood your earlier post and thought you were referring to my situation. Makes me wonder if those that do PP on a laptop keep their files stored locally on the internal drive or an attached external. It seems that for anything beyond that, it would make sense to have a dedicated desktop station. I was able to put together my PC desktop for $250 (and some parts from a dead Dell) which trumps the cost of a NAS or other external storage solution.
    E