beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Sports
Gym meet this past weekend Sony-A700,Sigma70-200@105,iso3200,f2.8,ss320
229029553-M.jpg

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Keith,

I feel your pain about horrid lighting conditions for gymnastics - I shot in a place this past weekend using 1/200, ISO 6400 and 2.8 (or 1/400 at 2.0 for some shots).

I like the timing of the shot. And WB looks good. The biggest issue is the horizon is off and with all the vertical & horizonal lines in the photo that's a bit distracting.

The face is soft - but given the conditions, I think it's a reasonable amount of softness. Did you use USM? If not, that will help.

I think with a straightened crop the photo will be a winner.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Great timing. Nice shot.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Keith,
    The biggest issue is the horizon is off and with all the vertical & horizonal lines in the photo that's a bit distracting.
    Yeah, most of my shots go portrait there are two points in the routine which I flip to Landscape the leap is one of them. so thats my first excuse trying to flip and get the shot before it's over. my second excuse is none of my shots are level so why should this one be any different. I always struggle with this and in c&c it's usually one of the first issues to pop up.
    as far as the timing goes, the music helps I think. the music and routine for each of the lower levels is the same I shot 150 routines this weekend and countless before. At this point I probably subconsciously pull the trigger to the music and not the action so it's the athlete that deserves the credit for the timing.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    beetle8 wrote:
    the music and routine for each of the lower levels is the same .
    Don't I know it. I have learned to HATE that music. This past weekend was only 3 hours of shooting but I couldn't get that music out of my head. I might have to limit my shooting to only one meet for a certain 'level' per year just to keep my sanity :D
    edited December 5, 2007
    I've heard this song before
    My daughter got me a coffee mug that say's "I think I've heard this song before" After an entire season I kinda forget about it, sorta like living next to the airport.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    beetle8 wrote:
    my second excuse is none of my shots are level so why should this one be any different. I always struggle with this and in c&c it's usually one of the first issues to pop up.
    Then its time to start listening. :D Seriously, the slightly off level for no apparant reason look to the photos is a bit distracting. It screams "I'm not paying attention to what I'm seeing in the viewfinder when I take my pictures." Paying attention to the details is what separates the parents from the pros and what makes a snapshot into a photo. Your timing is real good. The color balance is nice, and that is a tough environment to shoot in. Bump it up a notch with a level image. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited December 5, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Then its time to start listening. :D Seriously, the slightly off level for no apparant reason look to the photos is a bit distracting. It screams "I'm not paying attention to what I'm seeing in the viewfinder when I take my pictures." Paying attention to the details is what separates the parents from the pros and what makes a snapshot into a photo. Your timing is real good. The color balance is nice, and that is a tough environment to shoot in. Bump it up a notch with a level image. :)
    WOW!
    I'm all for taking a beating, and I rarely ever whine about a crit but, do tell, what gives a gallery of nice race cars each slighly out of level to their own degree more of an "aparent reason"?
    All of which I though were great shots.
    Should I cock the camera more to make it look like I meant to do it?
    What I should do is take more time to PP the image.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Sorry, I didn't realize how I came across.
    beetle8 wrote:
    Should I cock the camera more to make it look like I meant to do it?
    Yes. Your images don't look unlevel "on purpose", they have an accidental look to being unlevel. Partly because they are slightly unlevel, it gives the impression that it was accidental. Coupled with your comment that it was accidental and you have been knocked before for it. Mine are more slanted than yours, which should give the impression it was done on purpose (which was my intent, but its a matter of opinion if I pulled that off or not, or whether it was even necessary for me to do in the first place).

I would say you need more slant for dramaticism, or a level shot.

In the end, all I was really trying to say was if this is a recurring criticism you get from people about your photographs, then maybe you might want to work on that aspect. :)

Again, sorry for how I came across.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited December 5, 2007
    for gigles
    Don't be sorry
    For giggles, this shot was actually surprisingly out of level, more so than some "intentionally dramatically out of level shots"
    While I will totally admit that it was unintentional and an aspect of my skill set I am trying to improve on. I do believe that in this particular circumstance it must be partially acceptable.
    What about perspective?
    229100770-M.jpg
  • gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Keith

The a700 looks like it is holding up quite well. I am hoping Santa leaves me one under the tree ;-) Nice shot...I like it

Ed
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
    edited December 5, 2007
    Yup
    Thanks Ed,
    Yup I'm pretty darn happy with it so far, a few quirky things here and there but I guess they'll all have their issues.
    I know you're running the a100 beware, if you get the a700
    I figured I'd use the a100 as back up but it's hard going back