Options

Upsizing with Lightroom, good or bad.

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Finishing School
Does anyone know whether it's better to increase the size of an image with Lightroom during Raw conversion or better to export it at it's native resolution as a tiff and resize with PS?

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Does anyone know whether it's better to increase the size of an image with Lightroom during Raw conversion or better to export it at it's native resolution as a tiff and resize with PS?

Charlie

I'll start by saying I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it will do a fairly decent job, probably the same as the default photoshop settings.

But I would reccomend exporting at native resolution and then using the Alien Skin Blow Up http://www.alienskin.com/blowup/index.html plugin to do any enlargements. I tested a few apps with a photographer friend of mine and this is easily the cleanest and sharpest I found. It makes a noticble improvement on my 5d files when printing at A3+ size on my Canon i9950.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    If you upsize without customizing options, Lightroom and Photoshop should be about the same.

But Photoshop has several resizing methods in the Image Size dialog that Lightroom does not have. This means you can try sizing options that are not in Lightroom, and some may work better than the one way in Lightroom. Many think that having these options now allows Photoshop to equal most of the third-party resizers in upsized image quality.