Options

Canon slashes prices on Rebel XTi -- why?

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited December 6, 2007 in Cameras
Man -- doesn't it always happen this way?

Last week, the XTi w/ kit lens was in the $650-$699 range at various online resellers. So on Monday, I thought I was getting a steal, buying one from a nearby Craigslister that was lightly used (second camera for a family -- they preferred the point-and-shoot) for $575 w/ two 2GB CF cards to boot. (This was to finally replace my original Rebel that was lost/stolen back in April.)

Then this morning my wife calls. San Jose Camera & Video is selling the "starter pack" -- body + kit lens + 75-300mm (bleh, yes, I know) + Canon gadget bag + extra battery for ... $750! One day sale tomorrow (12/6/07), no sales tax.

That's the same package that Costco had on sale just last week for at least $950, probably more.

So I check on-line, thinking maybe I can sell the used camera and buy this starter pack to get a new body + kit lens, *maybe* flip the 75-300mm, and keep the bag and extra battery.

And crap, there it is on Amazon for $590.99. Geez.

I suppose some suckers on Craigslist might not know that. But I'd feel... slightly bad. :-/

Oh well, my nifty 50 (1.8 cheapo prime) should be on its way soon, and frankly that and the kit lens were what I used most with my original Rebel that got stolen back in April.

So does anyone know what the deal is? New Rebel coming out soon, perhaps?

Oh well, I got two 2GB CF cards for cheap, and I don't have to wait to have a camera in my hands today. I guess that's worth something...

*Sigh*.

--Darryl

Comments

• Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    darryl wrote:

So does anyone know what the deal is?l

Rumor has it there is a holiday approaching in a few weeks. Christmas, I think it's called. Have you heard of it?

:D
    Tim
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited December 5, 2007
    Hi Darryl,

I can relate. A couple of months ago I bought a used lens because I needed a particular focal length for a trip. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal and I had been tracking the lens pretty carefully.

I got the lens and used it, but when I next checked I found that the same lens had either dropped in price, or I was simply mistaken. Either way, I could have purchased the same lens, brand new, for the same price as I payed for a used lens.

The upside is that I had the lens to use, it worked pretty well and I got some fine visual memories.

Life is never easy. Cameras are always cool. Children are ..., well, that's another story. :D
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    The Rebel XTi should be in line to be updated on Feb 08, probably along with the 5D. Canon's bodies always drop several months before they are replaced.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Wow has it been that long since I got mine?
    Yep! 14 months...
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com