Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk II vs Mk I

joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
edited December 7, 2007 in Cameras
Hi All, I'm using a 5D and I've been offered a Canon 85mm f1.2 Mk I for a pretty good price, I'm just wondering how big of a difference there is between the 2 different versions. I've searched the forums and the web and the best info I found was this

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Is a 9yr old MkI worth a third of the cost of a new Mk II? it seems to be in great condition and is still accurately focusing.

Any help in making up my mind would be great :)
jamesOgle photography
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 5, 2007
    Yes, the original version has a reputation for being slow to focus. As long as you understand that limitation, and as long as that slowness doesn't impact on your plans for using the lens, you should find the optics to be pretty great.

If you have an opportunity to test the lens on your camera before you commit to the purchase, maybe that would help you decide.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 5, 2007
    I own an original 85mm f1.2 L and it is not as fast as a 50 f1.4 USM to focus.

In a studio where you are not moving around fore and aft this is not a significant issue. For a journalist on the street it might be.

The optics and bokeh of the older version are still stellar.

The only reason to purchase the 85f1.2 L is if you plan to shoot it wide open. ( That, and bragging rights - it is a humongous lens )

The 85 f1.8 is much cheaper, smaller, and faster to focus, and very sharp at apertures smaller than f2.8.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Thanks for the push, I am going to try it out tomorrow and take it if I like it.

I'm not planning on using it for sport, it's not something I shoot a lot of, and I have a 70-200 f2.8L IS for those moments anyway.

Just need the 35 f1.4 to complete my bag of primes.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    ok guys, thanks again. I love this lens.....

Yes, a cat, how original! http://www.ogle.co.nz/gallery/3417554#229524449-A-LB

229524449-L.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 7, 2007
    It really must be the lens.....:D :D:D

34724679-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Castleman compares the 85mm 1.2 Mk I vs the Mk here:
    http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/85mm/index.htm

He says:
    With the introduction of the EF 85mm f/1.2L Mark II, Canon has made major improvements in their legendary f/1.2L lens including:
    1. 1.8x faster autofocus: Autofocus in the EF 85mm f/1.2L Mark II is now fast enough to use in sports and other fast moving action photography;
    2. New lens coatings: Flare is markedly reduced which results in better image contrast in unusual lighting situations;
    3. Round aperture diaphragm to f/2.5: Results in smoothed out of focus aperture diaphragm patterns at apertures from f/1.4 to f/2.5
    4. Electronics changes to support E-TTL II flash function
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston