Options

picture styles in RAW

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 11, 2007 in Technique
Does shooting RAW make worrying about any in-camera picture styles a moot point? Just wondering if I should be concerned about which style my camera is set to or not.
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Does shooting RAW make worrying about any in-camera picture styles a moot point? Just wondering if I should be concerned about which style my camera is set to or not.

Picture Styles have no impact on RAW files. Personally, I leave my camera in "Faithful" picture style because I prefer that mode when I am reviewing images on the LCD.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Picture Styles have no impact on RAW files. Personally, I leave my camera in "Faithful" picture style because I prefer that mode when I am reviewing images on the LCD.

OK...I was thinking about this right! I realized that the LCD image is a jpeg rendering, so the chosen picture style would be visible at some point in the process. Thanks for that!
    Elaine

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Any picture styles or parameters you may set in your camera will effect the JPG file embedded in the RAW file. They will also have an effect on the initial rendering of the RAW file in your converter. However, you have the option of modifying these parameters during the RAW conversion function to generate the image you want/saw.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Any picture styles or parameters you may set in your camera will effect the JPG file embedded in the RAW file. They will also have an effect on the initial rendering of the RAW file in your converter. However, you have the option of modifying these parameters during the RAW conversion function to generate the image you want/saw.

The histogram (which many use to help with "exposing to the right" aka ETTR) is also based on the jpeg which is created even if you only select RAW output (as I do).

Some people suggest that setting CONTRAST (in Picture Styles) to minus 2 will help to get the camera histogram closer to the "real" RAW histogram in order to assist in ETTR. The other values such as SHARPNESS, SATURATION, and COLOR TONE apparently have no effect on the camera histogram.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    The histogram (which many use to help with "exposing to the right" aka ETTR) is also based on the jpeg which is created even if you only select RAW output (as I do).

Some people suggest that setting CONTRAST (in Picture Styles) to minus 2 will help to get the camera histogram closer to the "real" RAW histogram in order to assist in ETTR. The other values such as SHARPNESS, SATURATION, and COLOR TONE apparently have no effect on the camera histogram.
    Wow - I didn't know that. I'll have to try that and see what I get. Thanks for the hint...
  • Options
    parheadparhead Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:

you have any additional info on this? I find this interesting.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    parhead wrote:
    you have any additional info on this? I find this interesting.

Actually, I've noted a few things on a thread in another forum, but a fellow from Spain that goes by the sign-in name of _GUI_ is very knowledgeable about histograms, and even has some good advice for Canon about the current histograms (which are jpegs), in particular about blown highlights and ETTR.

The current thread on this topic (in which I have participated) is open; don't have to be a member to view the forums on POTN, which is primarily for Canon users, but others do participate. If you do a Google for _GUI_, you'll find it quickly.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Any picture styles or parameters you may set in your camera will effect the JPG file embedded in the RAW file. They will also have an effect on the initial rendering of the RAW file in your converter.

Only if that RAW converter is DPP. It's the only picture style aware RAW converter.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    The other values such as SHARPNESS, SATURATION, and COLOR TONE apparently have no effect on the camera histogram.

That's true, but they do affect the playback image, which is why some people
    (me included) set the sharpness to its max value in order to make it easier to
    judge image sharpness during playback.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    That's true, but they do affect the playback image, which is why some people
    (me included) set the sharpness to its max value in order to make it easier to
    judge image sharpness during playback.

Would another way to say this be that you're able to judge potential image sharpness...meaning, if it looks sharp on your LCD you can be sure that your RAW image will be able to be sharpened nicely in post? I have my sharpness set at a 1, because I figured if it looked reasonably sharp on that low setting I could be assured of it being sharp after some post work. I guess I don't like the idea of seeing a sharp image on the LCD and then seeing a not as sharp image when I pull up the RAW file. How high do you have your sharpness set?
    Elaine

• Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I guess I don't like the idea of seeing a sharp image on the LCD and then seeing a not as sharp image when I pull up the RAW file.

Due to the limitations of the tiny LCD screen you'll never see a playback image
    as sharp as it can be when viewed on a monitor. However, once you
    gain some experience in judging the playback image you'll be able to perfectly
    tell whether you got the focus right or not. 100% of the time.

Elaine wrote:
    How high do you have your sharpness set?

I always have it set to its maximum value.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Would another way to say this be that you're able to judge potential image sharpness...meaning, if it looks sharp on your LCD you can be sure that your RAW image will be able to be sharpened nicely in post? I have my sharpness set at a 1, because I figured if it looked reasonably sharp on that low setting I could be assured of it being sharp after some post work. I guess I don't like the idea of seeing a sharp image on the LCD and then seeing a not as sharp image when I pull up the RAW file. How high do you have your sharpness set?

It isn't a perfect science when it comes to judging sharpness on the LCD. I will sometimes, in playback mode, zoom in on my focus point on my subject.....say an eye....to be sure that it is sharp. Still.....it isn't as good as looking at it on a pc screen. I generally use the portrait, standard,or landscape picture style. To be honest, I can hardly tell the difference except that there is a saturation boost in landscape that can sometimes produce red skin tones. These of course have zero effect on your unmolested RAW file. Some folks are dead set on RAW. I admit that I now ALWAYS capture in RAW+JPEG, but I also have no issue with using the JPEG file for sale if it is great out of the camera. The RAW file is there in case I need to make a major adjustment....like white balance or exposure....but jpeg handles minor tweaks just fine. I have done some photoshoots and developed all in RAW, and the ease with which global changes can be made in batches is nice. My workflow is rather unrefined, but it works for me.

I have a question.....if you capture in RAW only....not RAW+JPEG, then what will you be viewing on the LCD. It would have to be your unmolested RAW file!!ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have a question.....if you capture in RAW only....not RAW+JPEG, then what will you be viewing on the LCD. It would have to be your unmolested RAW file!!ne_nau.gif

No. The RAW file has an embedded JPG which is used for playback. A RAW file
    itself is not something you can actually view.