Options

Red becoming Orange?

seekerseeker Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited December 17, 2007 in Finishing School
OK, so I have taken *lots* of Christmas portraits over the past month in my home studio, and one think I notice that is consistently happening when I upload my photos to SmugMug and view them is that reds are becoming orange??

I post this here, because I notice the same thing when I print my photos out - reds that display as very respectable reds on my monitor from within CS3 (and look very much like the actual red that I photographed) become orange.

I *have* gone through a calibration process with my monitor and printer (and scanner), and yet when I display or print these, that red becomes a very unacceptable shade of orange.

Workflow, you ask? :)

I shoot in sRGB on my Nikon D200, and use LR (in ProPhotoRGB) to import the files. When I do my edits (when necessary) in CS3, I keep the file in ProPhotoRGB throughout the process).

When I export for SmugMug, I have LR convert to sRGB.

When I print, I print from within CS3, using the profile I generated from my printer.

Any thoughts?

-- Brian

Comments

• Options
    edited December 8, 2007
    Bump!

Here's hopin' :)
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    Well, are you shooting RAW? Just askin' 'cause if you are, it don't matter whether you have your camera set on sRGB or aRGB. NEF is NEF.

I realize that didn't answer your ??? about how's come everything's goin' orange, but you do need to know that the color space thingy only matters if you're shooting .jpg. AND, since you have LR, why would you shoot .jpg (if'n you are)

I'm not really a hill-billy. I just play one on DGrin.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 8, 2007
    seeker wrote:
    OK, so I have taken *lots* of Christmas portraits over the past month in my home studio, and one think I notice that is consistently happening when I upload my photos to SmugMug and view them is that reds are becoming orange??

I post this here, because I notice the same thing when I print my photos out - reds that display as very respectable reds on my monitor from within CS3 (and look very much like the actual red that I photographed) become orange.

I *have* gone through a calibration process with my monitor and printer (and scanner), and yet when I display or print these, that red becomes a very unacceptable shade of orange.

Workflow, you ask? :)

I shoot in sRGB on my Nikon D200, and use LR (in ProPhotoRGB) to import the files. When I do my edits (when necessary) in CS3, I keep the file in ProPhotoRGB throughout the process).

When I export for SmugMug, I have LR convert to sRGB.

When I print, I print from within CS3, using the profile I generated from my printer.

Any thoughts?

-- Brian

Apparently your images look orange when uploaded to smugmug OR when printed on your profiled printer. That suggests to me, that the files are too orange for some reason.

Are you really certain that your monitor is Properly Calibrated? Have you looked at the pixel numbers in the whites, grays, and blacks of your files to verify that they are truly neutral and not orange? Even with a calibrated screen, you must look at the pixel values from time to time to verify that what you are seeing is what the numbers actually are.

How do you white balance your images as you import the RAW files into LR?

Are you choosing FLash as a white balance choice, or are you setting the white balance with a known neutral? Have you shot a neutral gray white balance card to verify that your white balance setting is correct? That orange is coming from somewhere.

I do not know what is causing your difficulty from the information provided, but the areas I mentioned are a good place to start looking.

Adobe RAW converter or NEF software? I have always felt many Nikon images are slightly warmer than images I get from my Canon cameras - just the tiniest bit.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Apparently your images look orange when uploaded to smugmug OR when printed on your profiled printer. That suggests to me, that the files are too orange for some reason.

Are you really certain that your monitor is Properly Calibrated? Have you looked at the pixel numbers in the whites, grays, and blacks of your files to verify that they are truly neutral and not orange? Even with a calibrated screen, you must look at the pixel values from time to time to verify that what you are seeing is what the numbers actually are.

How do you white balance your images as you import the RAW files into LR?

Are you choosing FLash as a white balance choice, or are you setting the white balance with a known neutral? Have you shot a neutral gray white balance card to verify that your white balance setting is correct? That orange is coming from somewhere.

I do not know what is causing your difficulty from the information provided, but the areas I mentioned are a good place to start looking.

Adobe RAW converter or NEF software? I have always felt many Nikon images are slightly warmer than images I get from my Canon cameras - just the tiniest bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

It has been awhile since I calibrated my monitor, so that may have something to do with it.

I am shooting in raw (NEF) and have been doing a manual white balance "to sight" on the monitor. I suppose if the monitor's calibration is off, then so will my white balance correction be off - it sounds as if this is the first place I should be looking.

- Brian
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 17, 2007
    Seeker,

If you white balance by using the white balance eyedropper in Adobe RAW converter, by clicking on a Known Neutral, a light gray for instance, your image should be properly white balanced ( unless you used two different color temperatures for illumination of your shot) and being white balanced, should print appropriately.

It may not exactly match an uncalibrated monitor, but whites should be white, blacks should be black ( you did set a white and black point in your image after importation into Photoshop, didn't you?).

Reds turning orange ( or vice versa) sounds like a color temperature issue to me. Did you soft proof your images with the profile for the paper you are using? A yellow paper, will shift reds to orange slightly because the reflected light will contain more yellow, than the transmitted light of a monitor. Most LCDs tend to me rather cool when uncalibrated, and then look warmer after calibration ( at least that is true of my Apple Cinema Displays)

Please let us know, when you sort this issue out, what you learned in the process.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin