Options

canon's 2-part "on" button

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 9, 2007 in Technique
I've asked this over in "Cameras" but I'm impatient for an answer, so I moved it over here! :wink
The 40D has a 2-part "on" button. Do other cameras have this? Is this just a personal preference thing about how one choses to use their camera (and the dial on the back), or am I missing something here? I can't imagine not wanting to use the dial, but I keep wondering if I'm limiting some other options either way.

Also...is the A-DEP function helpful? It seems like it could be nice in a group portrait setting...allowing the camera to choose the aperture based on the DOF needed, but I guess I wonder about letting the camera try and figure that out. Any experiences to share?
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Happy holidays Elaine!!!

I am not sure about the power button, mine is on or off(XTi).

The A-DEP mode is indeed auto depth of field. I personally have never used it. It only works on my camera with ALL of the focus points on, and I have always feared the camera focusing on something before or beyond my subject. I think you are better off just stopping aperature down to 5.6 to 8.0 or so for groups. You can get away with couples from 2.8 to 4.0 pretty easy and even larger if they are farther away. All of this depends on distance, but is a good place to start. I nearly always shoot in AV mode. If not there, then manual. Now and then if using the flash in very dark places, and getting snapshots(not paid clients) I will use program mode(P). This is a situation where I would shoot manual at say a wedding.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I look at it as simply a setting-security feature.

On my 30D, the only reason the top position of the power switch (where the "/" line connects to the big dial ... I assume that is what you are talking about) is to allow the "quick control dial" to set exposure compensation (at least that's what I use it for). In the lower position of the power switch ("on") the quick control dial works in menus etc. but you are protected from accidently re-setting your exposure compensation.

When I checked out a 40D recently, that appeared to be the same thought pattern of the designers.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    I look at it as simply a setting-security feature.

On my 30D, the only reason the top position of the power switch (where the "/" line connects to the big dial ... I assume that is what you are talking about) is to allow the "quick control dial" to set exposure compensation (that's what I use it for). In the lower position of the power switch ("on") the quick control dial works in menus etc. but you are protected from accidently re-setting your exposure compensation.

When I checked out a 40D recently, that appeared to be the same thought pattern of the designers.

OK, thanks! That's what I was thinking, too. I was very happy to discover in the custom settings that I could switch things around and use the dial for directly choosing focus points and not for exposure compensation at all. That function was moved to the front dial while holding down the far right button under the thumb. That works so much better for me, so I was very happy to figure that out!
    Elaine

• Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Happy holidays Elaine!!!

I am not sure about the power button, mine is on or off(XTi).

The A-DEP mode is indeed auto depth of field. I personally have never used it. It only works on my camera with ALL of the focus points on, and I have always feared the camera focusing on something before or beyond my subject. I think you are better off just stopping aperature down to 5.6 to 8.0 or so for groups. You can get away with couples from 2.8 to 4.0 pretty easy and even larger if they are farther away. All of this depends on distance, but is a good place to start. I nearly always shoot in AV mode. If not there, then manual. Now and then if using the flash in very dark places, and getting snapshots(not paid clients) I will use program mode(P). This is a situation where I would shoot manual at say a wedding.

Thanks, Jeff! Yes, I wondered about the same thing...the camera grabbing focus farther in front of or farther behind than I really wanted it to, and therefore choosing a larger DOF than necessary. Still...it's kinda a cool feature! And I use Av or Manual, too. thumb.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Hi Elaine - I couldn't find your post over in "Cameras" about the two-part "on" button, so I don't know if you already got an answer.

I'm assuming that the on button works the same way it does on the 20D. If you are shooting in full manual mode you need to have it on the second "on" (the slash) so the top dial changes your shutter speed and the back dial changes your aperature. You'll also need to use that "on" to dial in exposure compensation when shooting in Av, Tv or P.

In any other mode (Av, Tv, P), my back dial still works to control ISO, WB, select an AF point, scroll through menu options, etc., even if the "on" button is only in the first "on" position. The manual is a bit misleading when it says that the "slash on" must be used for the back dial to function; it has additional functions when that "on" is selected. Play around with it and I think you'll find the same thing. I just ran through everything I could think of to double check, hopefully I didn't miss anything. headscratch.gif

That being said, I always use the full "on" because I usually shoot in manual mode and it has become habit for me.

ETA - looks like a few of us posted responses at the same time!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Elaine wrote:

Also...is the A-DEP function helpful? It seems like it could be nice in a group portrait setting...allowing the camera to choose the aperture based on the DOF needed, but I guess I wonder about letting the camera try and figure that out. Any experiences to share?

That's the point of A-Dep. It figures out what's the best aperture to get all the points in focus. I used it in the past but now I just use M or AV cuz I have more control.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    i think they shouldve made it a one part on button, because you have no clue how many times ive went to shoot in manual and wondered why i couldnt change my aperture 11doh.gif
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com