Options

Magenta cast in Hi ISO Canon G9 RAW Files in Lightrrom 1.3

BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm happy to say I'm a prowd new owner of a Canon G9, having just upgraded from the G7 for RAW support.

Lightroom is my primary RAW converter, and I've noticed a problem converting G9 files at ISO 800 and 1600: the images come out with a distinctive magenta cast when compared with ISO 100, 200, and 400 images with the same white balance and color settings.

I do not notice a cast when using Canon's supplied "RAW Image Task" RAW converter. And, I also don't see the effect in JPEGs. I only see it in RAW files converted by LR 1.3 (and I assume, but have not tested, ACR 4.3.)

Has anyone else noticed this issue? I can post examples, if necessary.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 5, 2007
    You actually plan to use IOS 800 and 1600 with the G9??:D :D

I just find too much noise at ISOs > 200-400 with most point and shoots, and this includes my G9 as well.

I have not tried this in Lightroom, I process my G9 RAW files in PSCS3 ARC 4.2. I love the camera, it can produce fine images, but I have no experience yet with ISOs that high with it. Sorry.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    You actually plan to use ISO 800 and 1600 with the G9??:D :D
    I guess that depends on what you mean by plan. Yeah, 1600 is pretty much unusable. But, if I really needed to, I could see using 800 in either a "social snaps" or work situation (for documentary reasons, I often have to photograph inside unlit ship's voids and ballast tanks where there's no fancy lighting--just me and a P&S--although I'd probably be shooting JPEG in this situation).
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have not tried this in Lightroom, I process my G9 RAW files in PSCS3 ARC 4.2.
    Just to confirm--tried it in ACR and had the same problem.
    pathfinder wrote:
    I love the camera, it can produce fine images, but I have no experience yet with ISOs that high with it. Sorry.
    Had a feeling I'd hear a lot of that. Most people on this board are planning to use the G9 for a small SLR substitute in either well-lit or tripod-appropriate situations. Don't get me wrong-so am I. But, it's my only P&S, so it must serve the tasks of many masters.