Uploading .psd files...NEED HELP A.S.A.P.!!

PantherFanPantherFan Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited December 7, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Howdy all,

I just shot my first portraits in RAW format. I'm brand new to the whole process and know very little about it. After converting them to .psd files and trying to upload, it says unable to upload this file type. What do I need to do?

I've edited about 100 of 200 images and I need to know what to do before I go any further so I don't have to backtrack.

Please don't spare any steps.

Thanks in advance!!

Donnie

:dunno
There's no shame in not owning tools...just like there's no shame in holding your wife's purse...for a minute

:wink

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    You need to convert them to JPEG, as Smugmug will not host RAW or PSD files. If you have Photoshop, use bridge to set up a batch process to convert them.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Welcome to dgrin & SmugMug. It's about the best place around for photos and photog knowledge.

To add to Jim's post.

What you want to do is open bridge or photoshop to run a command called "Image Processor"
    In Bridge (Br) CS3. Select Tools>Photoshop>Image Processor
    In Photoshop (Ps) Select File>Scripts>Image Processor

This will open up a dialog box that has a bunch of options. Don't worry, this is a very intuative screen.

1. Select the images to process.. Where the files are at now.
    2. Select location to save processes images.. Where the new files are going to end up (don't worry, your original files will stay where they are, untouched)
    3. File Type. This is where you need to make decisions. By default save as JPEG (quality 5) is selected. Then you have the options to save as PSD or TIFF. The cool thing about this is you can save three different types of files at the same time and it will make 3 nice folders with the various file type images in them.
    4. Don't worry about this for now.

JPEG's are pretty universally used.
    .PSD is an Adobe propitiatory file and can only be opened w/ apps like photshop, Illustrator, Fireworks. etc..
    Tiffs are great for high quality images. They are a great way to archive images as well. The downside is the files can be huge. (NOTE: It's OK to use LZW compression when saving images since this is a lossless compression) *I don't expect you to know what that means. Just File it away for later when your learning moremwink.gif

I'd recommend saving the jpeg as 10-12 quality so your images look as good as they can be w/ jpeg. Then you can upload these images to smugmug.

There are allot of different ways to process files and different ways to speed up the upload process. But this is a good start.
    Feel free to ask other questions. But DEFINITELY start out by searching in these forums then asking questions in threads that already exist.

hope this helped a bit.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Much better response Jon! clap.gif I was short of time and wanted to keep it quick and dirty.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    No worries Jim.

So much for the ASAP part of the post I guessheadscratch.gif

Cheers,
    -Jon