Options

Is Smugmug having problems tonight?

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited March 11, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Or is it just me?

I am trying to upload some pics to my galleries and everything goes fine until the "Waiting for Reply" status window comes up (after uploading has completed). Nothing after that. It just hangs there. Checking my galleries, where the new pics should be there is a "Processing Image" message. I've tried 3 different times with no success.

I had to load these pics to my Pbase galleries. Kind of disappointing :rolleyes

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 11, 2005
    I noticed some "slowness" when accessing the site. About 10pm PST.
    Funny thing was that other sites with links seemed to work fine.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I noticed some "slowness" when accessing the site. About 10pm PST.
    Funny thing was that other sites with links seemed to work fine.

Ian

Ian,
    Are you another insomniac?.....lol Or are you working on processing shots too? mwink.gif

This is the first time I've ever had any problems with Smugmug. They loaded on Pbase no prob, so it doesn't seem like it's my connection or PC. headscratch.gif

Thanks for the response,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 11, 2005
    Ian,
    Are you another insomniac?.....lol Or are you working on processing shots too? mwink.gif

This is the first time I've ever had any problems with Smugmug. They loaded on Pbase no prob, so it doesn't seem like it's my connection or PC. headscratch.gif

Thanks for the response,
    Steve
    Pretty much :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Hard to say
    My friend (who, of course, uses SE to upload all his stuff:-) just told me this morning that he had another successful batch upload (about 200 pics). He started it before going to bed, left SE runnning and the whole thing was ready by the morning.

Naturally, this does not tell much about the speed, but SM definitely was responding.

I also uploaded few images last night myself (was testing last version #100 :-) and I did not notice any difference in speed.

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    Nik,

I don't know what the problem was. I uploaded these images this morning with no problems ne_nau.gif I've never had problems uploading in the past. Hopefully it was just a glitch :):

Thanks for taking time to respond,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    It's a new filter smugmug added this week. It blocks bad photographs.

:D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Oh, that what it was...
    wxwax wrote:
    It's a new filter smugmug added this week. It blocks bad photographs.
    :D
    And I wondered why a half of my pictures (those named like "highschool girls gone wild") did not make it through..:):

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    Well they were Egret shots, so I have a suspect in mind eek7.gif

Hey Sid,
    :smack :whip blbl.gif :moon :fu

Stop it, you're killin me :lol

Steve

17276466-M-0.jpg

This is what I kept getting last night :cry
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Or is it just me?

I am trying to upload some pics to my galleries and everything goes fine until the "Waiting for Reply" status window comes up (after uploading has completed). Nothing after that. It just hangs there. Checking my galleries, where the new pics should be there is a "Processing Image" message. I've tried 3 different times with no success.

I had to load these pics to my Pbase galleries. Kind of disappointing rolleyes1.gif

Steve

We had one of our redundant servers fail last night for a short time period (~30 minutes, I think).

smugmug is designed so that when hardware fails, your photos and site remain available, so your customers, friends, and family can still browse and use your site. At least, most of the time. :) Those operations are "read" operations, since all they're doing is browsing, not actually adding or changing any photos.

But we usually have to degrade your ability to "write" to the system for a short period of time, otherwise portions of the cluster will get out of sync, and you could have photos which aren't redundantly stored and backed up.

That's exactly what happened last night. If the outage is expected to last very long, we'll usually put up some sort of notification. This one was fixed within 10 minutes of our noticing it, so I figured it'd be better to get it up an active in 10 minutes rather than spend 10 minutes posting a note and then another 10 re-activating the site.

Sorry for the hiccup, I'm hoping we won't see it again, but you never know. :)

Don
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    We had one of our redundant servers fail last night for a short time period (~30 minutes, I think).

smugmug is designed so that when hardware fails, your photos and site remain available, so your customers, friends, and family can still browse and use your site. At least, most of the time. :) Those operations are "read" operations, since all they're doing is browsing, not actually adding or changing any photos.

But we usually have to degrade your ability to "write" to the system for a short period of time, otherwise portions of the cluster will get out of sync, and you could have photos which aren't redundantly stored and backed up.

That's exactly what happened last night. If the outage is expected to last very long, we'll usually put up some sort of notification. This one was fixed within 10 minutes of our noticing it, so I figured it'd be better to get it up an active in 10 minutes rather than spend 10 minutes posting a note and then another 10 re-activating the site.

Sorry for the hiccup, I'm hoping we won't see it again, but you never know. :)

Don
    Thanks Don,
    I was starting to develop a persecution complex mwink.gif It's nice to know it was just another case of immpecable timing on my part :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero