Options

noise reduction software

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 17, 2007 in Finishing School
All I know about is Noise Ninja and Neat Image. Are there others worth looking at? Are there real differences between these two programs, or just personal preference type stuff? Does it make a difference that I only have PSE 5? I think either one can be used stand-alone and not have to be combined with Photoshop.

Anyway...just looking and wondering.
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Noiseware is absolutely outstanding. Lots of geek buttons and controls if you're into that OR the auto presets do the job just fine IMHO.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    I'm a big fan of Noiseware as well. This is one of those areas where you pretty much can't go wrong between the big three, and the price differences are negligible. All three have trial downloads, so if you want, you can see which interface you like the best. I downloaded noiseware for free, tried it, bought it, and have never looked back. I know people who did the same with Neat Image and Noise Ninja.

Duffy
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    Great! Thanks for the input! thumb.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 7, 2007
    I have Noiseware and Neat Image on my computer, and find myself using Noiseware far more often in automatic pilot. I still do not fully understand all the controls, dial and sliders in some of of the various anti-noise programs.

I strongly recommend that you use your noise removal software on a layer - hit ctrl-J to make a copy of your image and do the noise removal on that layer. You can then paint out areas where you do not need or want noise removal, and can them blend the Opacity slider to get the final adjustment of your image. You can also do selections on a layer before running your noise software as well.

This helps keep the sharp edges of the parts of your image where shape is more important than a little noise, while allowing you to lose all the noise in a smooth even area like the sky.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have Noiseware and Neat Image on my computer, and find myself using Noiseware far more often in automatic pilot. I still do not fully understand all the controls, dial and sliders in some of of the various anti-noise programs.

I strongly recommend that you use your noise removal software on a layer - hit ctrl-J to make a copy of your image and do the noise removal on that layer. You can then paint out areas where you do not need or want noise removal, and can them blend the Opacity slider to get the final adjustment of your image. You can also do selections on a layer before running your noise software as well.

This helps keep the sharp edges of the parts of your image where shape is more important than a little noise, while allowing you to lose all the noise in a smooth even area like the sky.

Thanks for the tip! I've downloaded a trial version of Noiseware, and I'm wondering when in the process it's recommended to do a noise reduction layer...at the very end, at the beginning before doing all the curves adjustments and tweaks, before or after USM???
    Elaine

• Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks for the tip! I've downloaded a trial version of Noiseware, and I'm wondering when in the process it's recommended to do a noise reduction layer...at the very end, at the beginning before doing all the curves adjustments and tweaks, before or after USM???

Do it first, prior to capture sharpening.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    Do it first, prior to capture sharpening.

Oh boy...I had to go look up what "capture sharpening" was! The last I knew, no sharpening was to be introduced until the very end. Seems times have changed!

Thanks for the info...I've got a lot of reading to do!
    Elaine

• Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Oh boy...I had to go look up what "capture sharpening" was! The last I knew, no sharpening was to be introduced until the very end. Seems times have changed!

Thanks for the info...I've got a lot of reading to do!

Start here:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20357.html
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Hello

I have used them all - for me nothing is easier or more effective than "Nik Define". Awesome product, it practically illiminates noise with no lose of detail!

Consider a trial.

Shane
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Lightroom
    arodney wrote:

Andrew, do you have an opinion on Lightroom's Print Sharpening options?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Andrew, do you have an opinion on Lightroom's Print Sharpening options?

Capture sharpening (new in 1.2) is quite good and based on the work of Fraser.

There's no output sharpening (yet...)
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Noiseware Pro is now
    best noise managment software
    for all my workflows