Options

Photos on Wall but how

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited December 7, 2007 in Finishing School
Tomorrow i am going to put photos on wall for exhibition.
they include color/bw macros/street/nature etc 50 images both landscape and portrait format.
Should i place all of them catagory wise or anything else ?
Any tip ?
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I think the answer partly depends on the physical layout of the space you are exhibiting in. If your exhibit is all going on a single, long, wall then you can do anything that you like. However, the space may only allow you to place a limited number of images in one place, others may need to go around a corner or in another room altogether, etc. I'd let the size and shape of the room or rooms begin to organize what goes where. Once you've determined about how many images will fit in each space you can better determine how to organize them. Determine whether lighting is better in some locations, or whether windows will provide distracting reflections to some of the work.

As for actual organization, you may want to do this by theme (landscapes, portraits) or by technique (color, bw), or location (city, country), etc. Your choices will provide an additional layer of artistic intent to the viewers of your work. What do you want the viewer to think about when they see your work? That's another criteria. Also, consider sequence, do you have a preference for what they see first or last? Your images will be static, but the visitors will not be - keep in mind the way that they will move through the rooms and consider what you want them to see and experience.

Lastly, if this is a group show then your neighbors work must also be taken into account. Some pieces may look better than others next to their work. (Unfortunately you may have no control over this.)

Good luck, and congratulations on your exhibit.
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    No frames...it detracts from the photo.

If possible think about arranging by the predominant color or even contrasting color. I think a nice b&w shot might be seen amongst color photos, where it might be missed if with a bunch of other b&w shots.

Good luck, Awais.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 6, 2007
    Pay attention to the lighting in the gallery also. Is it full spectrum fluorescent, tungsten, halogen, or just daylight? Color images will be more affected by the color of the lighting than B&W USUALLY.

Some images will look better in brighter light than others also. Some dark black and whites may not need as bright a lighting.

Good galleries should be aware of this, but I have seen some displays with poor quality lighting that detracted from the images displayed.

I would start with a large image 24 x 36 inches ( 0.75 x 1.0 meters ) or so if you have one - I like to start with a big bang, then show some smaller, less colorful images, some B&W, and then finish with a powerful image as well.

I admit to a strong weakness for larger images, bigger gets more respect .

I note that most of the most successful financially shooters, display image 16 x 24 inches up to 40 x 60 inches. Not centimeters either, but images 0.5 meters on a side or larger up to 1 x 1.5 meters

Use your smaller images in between the first and the last.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Thanks the place i am displaying is too small rolleyes1.gif and has florisent light.
    i have printed crystal mounted photos
    Great tips will hang them that way thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery