Canon "L" Lens owner's help me.

PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
edited December 9, 2007 in Cameras
Hey guys,

I am thinking of buying a Canon 70-200 f2.8 L :Dlens from a friend, he is letting me test drive it this week ;) and I have noticed it has quite a few scratches on the body and a tiny hairline scratch on the front element.

I am thinking of buying it (since he is only asking $600 for it, including the hood).

But I would like to restore it to a better cosmetical condition... so my questions would be:

1) Is there any way to fix the hairline scrath on the front element?

Also, I have ordered the Canon Part CY9-8078-001. Which is the Canon L lens touch-up paint. 100g of it. But I have no clue of what it looks like, how to use it or apply it.

2) Is there a tutorial or anything you guys can tell me on how to "touch up" this lens?

I saw a guy on ebay selling some touch up paint he got from Japan, and in his bid he included: "10 tips on how to do the best job, fast and easy". Here is the link at EBAY.

I ordered mine from Canon Parts International (here is the phone if anyone is interested USA 1-732-521-7230.)
Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    :lurk
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I'm no expert but if the scratch is not detectable in shots taken at all aperture ranges then I would definitely leave well enough alone. I think the risk of doing more harm than good is very high. ne_nau.gif

That's a great price on a very sweet lens if the scratch doesn't degrade images.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I imagine that since most shots that you will take with that lens are gonna be in the 2.8-4 f stop range (well that is what I find I do with mine) that if it showed up at say f11 or f14 then just be aware of that and you should be fine. I think the best way to test it would be to take multiple shots on the a tripod of an object that if there is a detectable flaw would be noticeable. Maybe some type of pattern? Never had to do do a test like that. Maybe someone else here has.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Scratches usually show up as flare when shooting in bright light. If you want to fix it, you'll have to send it into Canon service to have the front element replaced.

As for the paint, I have no idea. Personally I wouldn't bother with it.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I have to agree with Liquid Air, send to Canon, they will fix the front element. And for the paint, if that really bothers you that much you could paint it, or buy a new lens. If it works, I am not as concerned if it looks a little used.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    The lens work just fine, it its blazing fast and I love it. But like I said I want to do some cosmetic fixes... Any clue on how to apply that paint? I already paid for it and might as well use it, there must be someone out there that has done it before?
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    The lens work just fine, it its blazing fast and I love it. But like I said I want to do some cosmetic fixes... Any clue on how to apply that paint? I already paid for it and might as well use it, there must be someone out there that has done it before?

Well, if it's anything like car touch-up paint... It would come in a small bottle like "white-out" with a tiny brush applicator built in. The way I use it (on a car) is to apply enough paint to cover the scratch and a little extra. Wait a few seconds and then gently wipe off the paint accross the scratch. This works the paint into the scratch and takes the extra off the area that isnt scratched. Then let it dry. The repair should be invisible to the naked eye, though a macro high-res photo would probably show it (so don't let people take macro photos of your lens).

Hope this info helps.
    ~ Lisa
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    thanks, I wonder if somebody here at dgrin has done this?... Maybe I will paint my 30D white ;)!
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    thanks, I wonder if somebody here at dgrin has done this?... Maybe I will paint my 30D white ;)!

Note:

The 70-200/2.8 is made from a magnesium alloy frame which (I believe) is powder coated at the factory before it is assembled. The touch up paint is not going to be as durable as the orginal finish.

Your 30D is made from black high impact plastic. I take it you were kidding with that comment, but I doubt that painting the plastic will give you a satisfying result.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    If the paint doesn't work for you, maybe a lenscoat would.

Link
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.