These are totally gross

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited December 9, 2007 in Holy Macro
Found this brown tick embedded in our kitten today. :cry Pretty unusual find this time of the year, especially considering that the kittens have never been outside. This is not the tick that transmits Lyme Disease. They take the host's blood to feed their offspring. Had to take a couple of shots before I disposed of it (don't tell my wife). Please excuse the few extra kitten hairs, she is a real fur-ball.

2092187072_11d3309164.jpg

2091402795_ca071f5fed.jpg

2091401649_df08632841.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    cool.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Nasty wee buggers. You did a neat job of removing that one thumb.gif Infection is always a risk, whether or not the tick carries Lyme's Disease. Mind, thanks to the yearly increase in temperatures, that's on the increase. :cry
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Good shots- interesting you do get a feeling of instant revulsion looking at it eek7.gif - I don't recommend hanging a print on the wall :D
    Brian V.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Pulled a few of these off of the canines when I was in California. This one is well fed and ready to pop...ugh! A nature photographer never misses an opportunity, it seems. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    garyt wrote:
    Found this brown tick embedded in our kitten today. :cry Pretty unusual find this time of the year, especially considering that the kittens have never been outside. This is not the tick that transmits Lyme Disease. They take the host's blood to feed their offspring. Had to take a couple of shots before I disposed of it (don't tell my wife). Please excuse the few extra kitten hairs, she is a real fur-ball.

Hi Gary,

Ticks carry some pretty awful diseases.
    I've had a few from the Lab some time ago to photograph.
    One started laying eggs, they range in sizes and the one like you have here, can get quite big.

This is a close-up of the head of a Tick ... nasty little buggars they are.

This image belongs to the University of New Hampshire

http://extension.unh.edu/news/graphics/tickhdsm.jpg

Glad you found it and got rid of it Gary.

Great Series thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Thanks all for the comments (and the close-up SKippy). It was closer than I needed to get. We live in an area that is prevelant with these, and the deer ticks that carry the Lyme disease, but usually don't see many in winter.

Brian--I find enough of these on the walls without hanging a picture of them. And by the way, how's the new softbox working? I think this is better. Comments?
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Oh Gary....I also hate these things...they are evil....BUT.....looking at it from a photgraphic view its a really good shot!!!

Patricia.........:D
  • Sprout CrumbleSprout Crumble Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Damn, I thought J-Lo had an ample butt.... mwink.gif

Ugly little critter. Certainly no J-Lo there. Nice sharp pictures.
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Nice images. Not a big fan of the little critters. Prefer to swat rather than shoot them! :D
  • jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    And here I was, settling down to a relaxing view of dgrin after breakfast.

Jamie