Options

1st ever Baptism shoot - results

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited December 8, 2007 in People
Well, this was quite the experience. For those of you who saw my earlier thread (http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77114), I was asked to shoot a baptism and i didn't have the proper equipment... ie, a flash...

So I made a home-made diffuser and went in for battle :huh It was quite something... trying to be at the right place at the right time, everyone looking 10 different ways becasue there are 10 different cameras trying to take photos of everyone... it was definately hard work. I really wasn't a fan of taking the "family portraits"... lol... the location wasn't that great and the lighting has horrid :rolleyes

Anyways, enough of my whining...below are some of the results. I'm not thrilled about them, but i'm also not completely disappointed I guess. I came out with over 300 photos, which i cut down to about 130 and there are still some in there that i'm not too thrilled about, i I guess about 100 is going to be the real number. I will be giving the family a link to my smugmug so they can view and share with friends/family. I'm also going to put together a little album for the little girl as my gift to her.

Considering the HORRIBLE lighting...or more like NO lighting, and my lack of proper equipment, it turned out half-decent i suppose...well, you be the judge....

This is my 1st ever crack at it and 1st crack at ANY organized event. If you can provide some feedback, that would be great so I can improve for next time... (hopefully by then i'll have a proper flash unit.. :thumb )

230349291-M.jpg

230349595-M.jpg

230349736-M.jpg

230349899-M.jpg

230350837-M.jpg

230349147-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 7, 2007
    gee, I think you did pretty good!-
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    I, too, think you did a great job. The only problem I see is that a lot of these
    have a very strong red cast. Like this one:

BEFORE:

229535762-M.jpg

After a quick touch up:

p85932641.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 7, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    gee, I think you did pretty good!-

I think you did an excellent job too, given the limitations you discussed in the other thread.

BTW - I was in Toronto just last week end, what a lovely city, even if it did snow:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 7, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    I, too, think you did a great job. The only problem I see is that a lot of these
    have a very strong red cast. Like this one:

BEFORE:

229535762-M.jpg

After a quick touch up:

p85932641.jpg

nice-
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    THanks everyone ! clap.gif

Pyrtek - thanks for the touch-up example... i totally see your point and i'll defiantely play aroud with this. I shot everything in manual mode and out of the white balance options, i went with the more -reddish (as opposed to blue) tone... i will defiantely tone this down... thanks ! thumb.gif
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Raphy wrote:
    Pyrtek - thanks for the touch-up example... i totally see your point and i'll defiantely play aroud with this.

Just holler if you need any help.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Raphy wrote:
    THanks everyone ! clap.gif

Pyrtek - thanks for the touch-up example... i totally see your point and i'll defiantely play aroud with this. I shot everything in manual mode and out of the white balance options, i went with the more -reddish (as opposed to blue) tone... i will defiantly tone this down... thanks ! thumb.gif
    It's good that you shot everything in manual!
    All you have to do is dial in one shot and use those settings for all the images. You may need to nudge the shots a little bit, but they will be very close and you only had to work out one image.

Pyrtek is way better than me in post. But I'm no slouch.. If you need another hand. I can help out too.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Good job!! I was waiting for you to post these, as i remembered you had a photoshoot. I think you did wonderful, your light is good, WB can also be adjusted. I think you're too hard on yourself. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    229525100-M.jpg

#2 is particularly striking.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    Thanks so much everyone for your feedback :Dclap.gifivar
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    I'm not seeing your shots this morning, do you have your external links turned off??? :D
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    I can't see the pics either. I came here from your other thread hoping to see the results but no picsne_nau.gif just red boxes.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2007
    Saurora & Eric - Photos should be up now... not sure what heppened... ne_nau.gif

Thanks!

Here are a few more pics:

http://photog-raphy.smugmug.com/gallery/3962142#230349291