PJ: Flooding in Washington State

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited December 9, 2007 in Landscapes
Chehalis River Flooding in Washington State

229802206-S.jpg

I returned home this week from Bangkok to find areas near my home devastated by one of the worst storms in Washington State history. I'm still feeling a bit lost in translation. If you ever feel the need to give ... may I suggest the Red Cross ....

229797580-L.jpg
Entering flooded Chehalis, Washington as night falls on Tuesday.

229797986-L.jpg
Frank Thormahlen of Chehalis, WA guides his boat through a maze of sunken vehicles and shopping carts in the Walmart parking lot at Chehalis, WA on Tuesday. Thormahlen, a part-time river guide with Fairweather Excursions, and his son John helped relief efforts by ferrying water and supplies from the flooded Walmart to a dry I-5 overpass. The supplies were headed for Red Cross shelters in Centralia, Chehalis and Pe Ell.

229798514-L.jpg

229799232-L.jpg
A pickup truck attempts to make it through a flooded roadway near Oakville, WA on Wednesday to take a woman for dialysis treatment. They followed an Army National Guard truck for safety.

229805016-L.jpg
The Army National Guard delivered water and food Wednesday to a shelter at Oakville High School for residents left stranded by Chehalis River flood waters.

229800969-L.jpg
Oakville resident Ron Johnson hitched a ride on an Army National Guard truck Wednesday as it delivered water, food and other supplies to areas cut off by Chehalis River flood waters. The large truck was able to make it through otherwise impassable areas.

229803998-L.jpg
James Cayenne, a Chehalis valley resident near Oakville, was down to his last bottle of water when the National Guard delivered water and food to local residents stranded by flood waters on Wednesday. Some residents said they survived two days without water.

229799988-L.jpg
Oakville, WA volunteer firefighter Ken Shively rides in the back of an Army National Guard truck on way to help pick up two people stranded the day before when their truck, seen here, went off the South Bank Road in flood waters. The local couple said they were caught by surprise when flood waters rose a foot in 20 minutes.

229800381-L.jpg
Cheryll and John Zollers and their dog Hogan were picked up by local volunteer firefighters and the Army National Guard and taken to the shelter in Oakville, WA Wednesday. The Zollers, who live nearby on South Bank Road on Grays Harbor, said they were stranded the day before when their truck went off the South Bank Road in flood waters. The local couple said they were caught by surprise when flood waters rose a foot in 20 minutes. They spent the night with neighbors in the home in the background completely surrounded by flood waters.

229802206-L.jpg
Oakville, WA volunteer firefighter Ken Shively grabs a ladder off the back of an Army National Guard truck while South Bank Road resident Laura McFarland picks up a case of bottled from the relief truck. Located near the small town of Oakville, South Bank Road lies in the Chehalis River flood plain in Grays Harbor County, Washington State. The area is downstream of heavily impacted Lewis County and the cities of Centralia and Chehalis, WA.

229803023-L.jpg
Flooded South Bank Road residents pick up bottled water from an Army National Guard truck Wednesday.

229801412-L.jpg
Army National Guard soldiers delivered water and food Wednesday to Oakville area residents left stranded by Chehalis River flood waters. Some had been without drinking water for several days.

229806178-L.jpg

229802484-L.jpg
Oakville, WA Fire Chief Buck Graham holds his granddaughter Allie Green outside the Oakville Fire Station Wednesday as he directs local relief efforts. Chief Graham said the Army National Guard unit assigned to his station had been "completely invaluable. They can get into areas with their truck that we can't, that's been invaluable." Staff Seargent David Stewart and Sergeant Tom Hon (background) lived at the station sleepng on cots and were on call around the clock.

229804342-L.jpg
Army National Guard Sergeant Tom Hon and local resident Jarred Green share a moment at the Oakville, WA Fire Station Wednesday.

229805648-L.jpg
Children and local residents take shelter Wednesday night at the Water of Life Family Church at Oakville, WA. The church set up a shelter for residents displaced by Chehalis River flood waters.

229799542-L.jpg
An Army National Guard truck carries water and food to flooded areas near Oakville, WA on Wednesday.

229804578-L.jpg
During a break between calls Army National Guard Sergeant Tom Hon checks messages from his wife on his cell phone Wednesday night. Large National Guard trucks proved invaluable this week with their ability to get into areas otherwise impassable or covered by flood waters.

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    :oogle

These are amazing PJ shots, but I'm so sorry to see such devastation.

Your area and family are OK?
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    your storytelling abilities are excellent!

the words national geographic pop into my mind. thumb.gif

hope everybody is ok there!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    Thank you :)) I fell back to my old photojournalism ways to try to get some information out on the human condition, to put faces to the tragedy and the response ... there are lots of dramatic photos out there of flooded homes, cars under water and the like but sometimes the smaller human stories get left out of media coverage.

Personally, we were blessed with nothing more than a power outage for two days, so many others lost everything ... half of one county (Grays Harbor) is still without power (out since Monday) and temperatures dropped below freezing last night. The Governor has been extremely quick in getting responders on site fast but this will be a long road for many small communities ... a few small towns are nearly completely destroyed. The Coast Guard and other responders rescued several hundred people off rooftops ... shades of Katrina on a smaller scale. But many areas are getting back on their feet, Interstate 5 has reopened, most of the flood waters have receded, and cleanup has begun.

The need for these small communities is only just beginning, however.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    That's good to hear that rescue efforts have been so timely!

I am really floored by your PJ abilities. So much I have to say that a second time. This is an amazing coverage and you make it look so easy! I just feel a little bad complimenting your stunning photography in light of the misfortune of all those families. rolleyes1.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    These are excellent! You really succeeded in capturing and tying in the human/emotional element. Sad situation, but you really nailed these well. I'm glad your own property is safe. thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    Super shots. I am a retailer up north who is still waiting for deliveries from Portland. DOT opened one lane on I-5 last night, so maybe today. Your captures truly tell the story.
    Growing with Dgrin

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    bowdown.gif

Amazing series.

Headed over to the Red Cross site right now. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • hejjafishhejjafish Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    Wow
    WOW!

My thoughts echo all of the posts above, even the National Geographic comment.:D
    I just feel a little bad complimenting your stunning photography in light of the misfortune
    Same here.

You have some real talent.thumb.gif
  • RockRock Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    I grew up in Chehalis so when I saw these I was shooked. Nice series, thanks for sharing them.
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On........

Christopher Kimball Photojournalism
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    These photo's are astounding. They make you feel the moment.

I intentionally visited that area on my last run out to Seattle last year - and its disturbing to see this footage. Maybe having visited the area makes it all that more intense.
    --Kres
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Thanks for the comments :))

David, you're a good man! I've been really impressed with relief efforts here and i have a new appreciation for the Red Cross - neighbors helping neighbors. I'm trying hard not to be preachy but this is important ... whether it's for here or Louisiana or the midwest or New York city ... or your own backyard someday. I posted these hoping for some awareness and perhaps to inspire some support for humanitarian efforts.

So it seems my photography has swung back around to photojournalism again after an 18 month hiatus exploring other avenues ... although in the past i was predominantly on the editorial side with a little PJ thrown in. Interesting comments regarding NG since I just returned from an exhausting week-long workshop in Bangkok with two incredible freelance photojournalists and humanitarians, one from NG, one from TIME, one war and the other peace ... their influence is seeping in and i've been re-inspired to do something "important" with my camera ... still figuring out what that will be long-term. This disaster seemed to be just one more kick on my backside to get going ...

Searching for windmills ... again ;-)