NOLA shots

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited December 9, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I don't have the technical sophistication necessary to create a poll, so just give me your feedback as to which one of these I should include in the LPS.

#1 Still no Life, with Bathtub

229917342-L.jpg

#2 Exotherm, 9th Ward

229917649-L.jpg

#3 Everything that rises must converge

229917722-L.jpg

right now I am sort of leaning towards #2.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    All of them capture "Decay" very well...however, number 1 appeals to me personally the most. I like the composition and the multiple levels of captured decay. I especially like the framing of the building outside in the decaying window. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    I think I'd go with #2.
    #1 is a bit underexposed for my taste, and the colors seem flat (thouhg i suppose all that can be fixed in PP).
    #3 is good, but it is a common shot,so it lacks pop to me.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    number 1 gets my vote... sweet shot!

Winston
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    love number one
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Of the three, I'd go for #1 (and I like that title!)
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    #1 definitely, for the composition and the idea!

I see, however, some serious noise on the interior and might be tempted to turn it to bw so that the grain will not be a distraction, but an addition. It might add to the bleakness of the situation as well.

ps, live there for 6 years, so it's emotional to look at these...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    I'm with #1 too. I'm liking the exposure even though one poster found it to be underexposed. I like the balance of the exposure... the outside light doesn't overpower the exposure of the interior. I also like that I explored the picture twice.. to me there's two subjects. The window, and the tub.

I also disagree with the poster who thinks it would be better in B&W.... there's something lonely and cold about the blue in the tub. But then, that's just an opinion!

Jamie
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    There;s a lot of noise in the bathtub bit becausr this is actually a melding of two different RAW conversions of this shot- the interior is up two stops from in camera exposure. I think it wouldn't be as effective in black and white.

Compositionally, it is much better than #2, but the noise is making this a very difficult choice.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    I have a hard time deciding between #1 and #2, but I think on balance you made the right choice. Incidentally, noise fits with the picture's content just fine. Sometimes I think we tend to overvalue lack of noise and sharpness over artistic framing and compelling subject matter. Noise distracts us because we are not used to seeing it anymore. But, just as in the days of film, noise is going to be part of certain photographs. For the right ones, its adds character and sometimes even poignance.

Best if luck to you,

Virginia

Email