Options

iPhoto Photo Book

Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited December 10, 2007 in Finishing School
hi, im currently running lightroom, (i dont have a gig of ram so i cant run aperture, and yes, it hurts to work on photos with 512mb) i want to get a book made up of some photos and it seems like the easiest solution is to export them from lightroom, and import them into iPhoto and make a photo book. just wondering if anyone had any experience with the quality of apples book services, and if there is a way to get it printed without the cheesy "made on a mac" pseudo advertisement.
Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
http://slinky0390.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    As it happens, I just ordered & received one as a Christmas gift for my wife.

It looks very solid and professional. The pages are glossy and heavy, the pictures came out great, and no surprises. What you see in iPhoto is what you get.

I can't comment about durability yet. Ask again in five or ten years ...

The inside of the back cover does indeed say "made on a Mac." I didn't think it was particularly intrusive but YMMV.

So, all in all, I'm pleased with my purchase.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    thanks, im probably going to order one then, but im going to wait till after my brother gets his mac for christmas, i dont feel like upgrading to iLife08 just so i can get a hardcover with a dust jacket.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 9, 2007
    I did a color, hardback book, via Aperture, last fall, November 2006.

I was very pleased with the color and the B&W images in it. I cannot find anything anywhere in it that says it was made on a Mac. I did not get a dust cover so maybe it is on the dustcover, and I missed that.

I am pleased enough, that I plan to do more of this type of reproduction in the future.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I did a color, hardback book, via Aperture, last fall, November 2006.

I was very pleased with the color and the B&W images in it. I cannot find anything anywhere in it that says it was made on a Mac. I did not get a dust cover so maybe it is on the dustcover, and I missed that.

I am pleased enough, that I plan to do more of this type of reproduction in the future.

the "made on a mac" is one of the downfalls of not having aperture. it only appears if you use iPhoto, which i would be using in conjunction with lightroom because i dont have a gig of ram to run aperture.. and it does not make sense for me to upgrade my ram in my powerbook when ill be getting a new mac for college in 4 months.. i guess i could always "borrow" aperture from my friend and install it on my brothers when he gets it for xmas
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 9, 2007
    Aha, I have not made a book via iPhoto.

Sorry for not helping.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Aha, I have not made a book via iPhoto.

Sorry for not helping.

no im sure the quality is the same, they wont make a shotty book just because its made with iPhoto, or would they?.. it just doesnt have the pro aspect of not having any ads on it like if it were made in aperture