Underground graffiti ( 56k killer )

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited December 11, 2007 in Landscapes
saturday night me and a friend went out for some cool graffiti photos. It was very hard to shoot these walls because of the wet weather and the moist air and walls, combined with the high glossy/metallic spraypaint many artists use.
But it gave me some quality time learning my flash better =).

230748171-L.jpg

230747937-L.jpg

230748334-L.jpg

230748494-L.jpg

3970477#230747203

230750108-L.jpg

230749953-L.jpg

230748655-L.jpg

230750277-L.jpg

230749594-L.jpg

230749426-L.jpg

230748801-L.jpg

230749275-L.jpg

14. Fake HDR because i couldnt save this image. way to dark so i had to do this. Lucky me it isnt straight so the angle kinda ruins it abit.

230747626-L.jpg

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Nice to see these, Arvan. Thanks. My favorites are #10 & #12.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    Nice to see these, Arvan. Thanks. My favorites are #10 & #12.

Yes i like them to. This is an amazing place. Im going back there for more session i tell you :D

Hope it will be a bit more dry at that time. Perhaps snow? ne_nau.gif
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    #10 stands out. The rest to me are just kind of like mugshots of Graffiti, there isn't enough of the 'photographer's eye' to set them apart from the ordinary -- even though it is extraordinary graffiti.

Thanks for sharing
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
    edited December 10, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    #10 stands out. The rest to me are just kind of like mugshots of Graffiti, there isn't enough of the 'photographer's eye' to set them apart from the ordinary -- even though it is extraordinary graffiti.

Thanks for sharing

Hey. Im glad that you took a look and gave me some coments. But i must make this clear. This pictures are not ment to be superoutstanding and creative. Just wanted to share a bit of street from my hometown =). For me the pics just are mugshots as you said. But that´s the point.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Arvan, your town really does have some first-rate graffiti art!

Documenting them underground seems quite tricky, Indeed. While I'd like to see them square on, I understand the flash probably bounces off the paint in an unpleasant way.

Any thoughts of off-camera lighting for that? Maybe that's a bit overkill! lol3.gif
    edited December 10, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Arvan, your town really does have some first-rate graffiti art!

Documenting them underground seems quite tricky, Indeed. While I'd like to see them square on, I understand the flash probably bounces off the paint in an unpleasant way.

Any thoughts of off-camera lighting for that? Maybe that's a bit overkill! lol3.gif

its pitch black in the hoods :D so offcamera lightning would be nice indeed..But i don´t have the gear for it :D.

Maby il do some captures during the day next time im home for christmas. And the bounce of the flash...was a pure hell :D i tried everything..Just not did the trick.
    edited December 10, 2007
    Arvan wrote:
    its pitch black in the hoods :D so offcamera lightning would be nice indeed..But i don´t have the gear for it :D.

Maby il do some captures during the day next time im home for christmas. And the bounce of the flash...was a pure hell :D i tried everything..Just not did the trick.

You mention "hood"...What about the kind of hood that goes over a flash to diffuse the light? Or reflecting the light back onto the subject from a white or coloured surface (umbrella)? Incident light from a diffuse source like that should lessen the problem. Did you try several light sources, not just one, together lighting the subject? Did you try a filter?

edited December 11, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    You mention "hood"...What about the kind of hood that goes over a flash to diffuse the light? Or reflecting the light back onto the subject from a white or coloured surface (umbrella)? Incident light from a diffuse source like that should lessen the problem. Did you try several light sources, not just one, together lighting the subject? Did you try a filter?

I used an omnibounce. That and the flash is the only things i have for shooting in the dark. But the thing is that you can´t bounce the light onto anything. It´s just open walls with no surroundings. Direct flash on the walls did not do the trick. Thats why all of em are from the side. No filter was used, cause i don´t have any :D
    edited December 11, 2007
    Arvan wrote:
    I used an omnibounce. That and the flash is the only things i have for shooting in the dark. But the thing is that you can´t bounce the light onto anything. It´s just open walls with no surroundings. Direct flash on the walls did not do the trick. Thats why all of em are from the side. No filter was used, cause i don´t have any :D

I'd try using, together, a number of relatively lower intensity light sources at different positions across the subject. A number of strength adjustable slave flashes, for example, or just a few torches with beams suitably diffused.

edited December 11, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    I'd try using, together, a number of relatively lower intensity light sources at different positions across the subject. A number of strength adjustable slave flashes, for example, or just a few torches with beams suitably diffused.

So wouldi neilL if i had the equipment for it ;)