Options

Photoshop Question - changing selection method in the process of selecting?

susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited December 22, 2007 in Finishing School
Does anyone know if it is possible (and if so how :D ), to change the selection tool being used in the process of making a selection?

So if I start off with the polyagonal tool, can I change to lasso or magnetic half way around?

Many thanks in advance

Susan

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    susanbudge wrote:
    Does anyone know if it is possible (and if so how :D ), to change the selection tool being used in the process of making a selection?

So if I start off with the polyagonal tool, can I change to lasso or magnetic half way around?

Many thanks in advance

Susan

Yes, you can create a selection using all the different tools. When making a selection, there is a small palette in the toolbar (the one just under the menus) that determines whether each incremental tool creates a new selection, adds to the existing selection, removes from the existing selection or intersects with the existing selection. So, you could drag out an initial selection with the rectangular marquee tool, select the polygon selection tool, set it to add to the selection, mark the edges of some object that would be added to the selection, switch to the magnetic tool, add another object to the selection, etc...

The one exception is when using tools that have a mode like the magnetic selection tool, you have to complete the operation with that tool (e.g. make a full outline with that tool so that you are done with that tool before switching to the next tool. So, you couldn't outline part of your object with the magnetic tool and the rest with the polygont tool and then add all that to your selection at once. But the selection you are working on can be worked on by many differenet tools. Work on one section with the magnetic tool, add it to the selection, work on another section with the polygon tool, add it to your selection, etc...
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 10, 2007
    Photoshop usually offers several different ways to do the same task also.

As John said, you can easily add or subtract from a selection with different tools.

In addition to the Lasso and Marquee tools, the magic Wand tool, you can use the Color Range command. You can also create precise selections with the Pen tool, but it is a little more challenging to master.

Once you have an initial selection, you can add to the selection by holding down the Shift key, or subtract from the selection by holding down the Alt( or Option) key while using the mouse to do the selection.

This makes it rather easy to use both color and shape to help select a specific portion of an image. I use the Color Range command quite frequently, and then add or subtract from its initial selection as needed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    The one exception is when using tools that have a mode like the magnetic selection tool, you have to complete the operation with that tool (e.g. make a full outline with that tool so that you are done with that tool before switching to the next tool. So, you couldn't outline part of your object with the magnetic tool and the rest with the polygont tool and then add all that to your selection at once. ...

Many thanks jfriend and pathfinder. The above answers my question ( I don't think I explained myself very well ). I've often chosen a particular tool for a selection and wished I could use another for just a small part of it and wondered if I could change but apparently not :D . It would be nice though!

Susan
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    susanbudge wrote:
    Many thanks jfriend and pathfinder. The above answers my question ( I don't think I explained myself very well ). I've often chosen a particular tool for a selection and wished I could use another for just a small part of it and wondered if I could change but apparently not :D . It would be nice though!

Susan

You can work around this issue, by just building your selection in multiple pieces. Do the first piece you want with the magnetic lasso, then just click a few places to finish a loop or just skip the detail in one particular area and do the rest of your selection. That adds the first piece to your selection. Then, switch to the polygon selection tool, make sure it's set to "add to selection", then outline a piece with the polygon tool and at the end of that region click a few places to finish a loop to add it. Then switch back to a different tool and so on. It actually works out just fine and lets you accomplish the goal of building a selection using several different selection tools.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Heck, if you've gotten comfortable with the QuickMask, mask, and channel modes, you can even switch freely between the selection tools and finessing selections with the painting tools. Draw a little selection here, switch to QuickMask, paint a little into the selection there, switch back out of QuickMask, add a rectangular selection there, then add a saved selection from the Channels palette, subtract a little with the lasso...it's very flexible.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2007
    Isn't that what the new Quick Selection tool is doing behind the scenes?

I did not like the Quick Selection tool at first, but as I begin to play with it I find I reach for it more and more.

Anyone else finding they are using the Quick Selection tool? It certainly acts like painting a mask as you work with it, just without the red screen, and it seems to pick out certain borders very accurately.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Anyone else finding they are using the Quick Selection tool? It certainly acts like painting a mask as you work with it, just without the red screen, and it seems to pick out certain borders very accurately.

I haven't tried it much, I must make an effort to get to know it. I've also need to get myself a bit more comfortable with channel masking. Thanks for all the replies.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    I haven't had much success w/ it. So far it's just like the tragic wand to me. I've messed w/ the tolerances a bit as well. It just doesn't select what I want it to.

Quick mask/channels still has my loyalty.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I did not like the Quick Selection tool at first, but as I begin to play with it I find I reach for it more and more.

I didn't "get it" until I watched Russell Brown's tutorial (large QuickTime movie). The most important thing I learned was that you will dramatically increase success if, early on, you Option-drag (Alt-drag) outside your subject to tell the tool what colors are not part of the subject. Now the tool is useful to me.

As you say, it seems to be a cross between the Quick Mask and the Magic Wand with better border smarts.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Thanks for that link CB.
    THe forst half was really useful!

Teaching Ps what you don't want to select then using that tool is REALLY cool!

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    I didn't "get it" until I watched Russell Brown's tutorial (large QuickTime movie). The most important thing I learned was that you will dramatically increase success if, early on, you Option-drag (Alt-drag) outside your subject to tell the tool what colors are not part of the subject. Now the tool is useful to me.

As you say, it seems to be a cross between the Quick Mask and the Magic Wand with better border smarts.

I always use the ( Alt/Opt) key as I make selections to remove portions of the image I don't want, so it just seemed natural to me to do the same thing with the Quick Select tool. After a little practice, I seemed to get the hang of it and find myself using it more and more. The Refine Edge comand was worth the upgrade cost for CS3 by itself too!!

• Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    I've found out how
    You know what they say if you want to find something - stop looking! That's what I did and stumbled on the answer to my question.

So in case someone else may find it useful, you can inter change between the lasso, polygonal and magnetic tools while you make a selection by holding down the alt key. Yeh...that simple :D

Susan