P&S for Grandma??

MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited December 10, 2007 in Cameras
So I am looking for a P&S for my mom for Christmas. Just something to take pics of the grandkid.... She will not be using a computer with it....just taking the card to walmart like she would film. I figure 6mp is plenty, big screen, some zoom, and a medium sized body (she think my wifes Canon SD is too small). MOST of all it has to be SIMPLE and EASY to use, or she will never use it. I am a Canon guy, but for this I have looked at Kodak easyshares, and polaroids....What would you all suggest??

THANKS
Marc

Comments

• jswoolf01jswoolf01 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Milner wrote:
    So I am looking for a P&S for my mom for Christmas. Just something to take pics of the grandkid.... She will not be using a computer with it....just taking the card to walmart like she would film. I figure 6mp is plenty, big screen, some zoom, and a medium sized body (she think my wifes Canon SD is too small). MOST of all it has to be SIMPLE and EASY to use, or she will never use it. I am a Canon guy, but for this I have looked at Kodak easyshares, and polaroids....What would you all suggest??

What does she mean by "medium size"? A compact like Canon's A520? A small pseudo-SLR like the S3 or S5 IS?
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    I just recommended the Canon S3 for my mom, which she got and is enjoying. I narrowed it down to these choices...a little zoom or a lot of zoom, very small camera or small camera, battery pack or AAs. The S2 was my first digital camera, and I found it very fun to use, especially with the tilt and swivel LCD and nice macro function. My 6yo son is now using it and he picked up its basic functions in one afternoon.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425379-REG/Canon_1101B001_PowerShot_S3_IS_Digital.html
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Panasonic has some very nice p&s camaras - I'd go to dpreview, punch in a few specs, decide what kind of batteries, and go from there.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Sony H7 ... very little shutter lag to capture those fast moving kids (about 1/10 of a second pre-focused to half a second worst case autofocus) and a nice, reasonable flash that well suits the lens indoors. Just leave it on the green auto setting and shoot away (31mm equivalent wide angle). Also nice at full zoom of about 465mm (equivalent in a 35mm film camera) to catch some of those back-yard-out-of-the-kitchen-window birds.

It has been running on and off sale between US$279 to US$300 these past several weeks. Purchased one for our girls' grandpa on Mom's side ... grandma even prints her own photos now and eschews WalMart, but primarily proudly shares photos in her emails. If they were into sports shooting of the grandkids, it would have been the H9.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    The Olympus FE series cameras are extremely easy to use. My wife uses one and loves it. Very affordable as well.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    I don't know what types of weather she may use it in, but one of the new waterproof cameras could be nice, no worrying about not using it at the beach or other places tha tyou would normally think twice.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Bought my mother in law the Kodak 570 or something. The Kodak system is really the way to go if you ever need to include the computer with it. It takes reasonable photos, is simple to use.

She can email photos, and save them to her hard drive all by docking the camera and pushing a button. Kodak has done a wonderful thing in making it simple. Its really cool for my kids to get photos from Grandma via email.