Options

Ptarmigan Peak Ice, Alaska 12/09/07

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited December 16, 2007 in Journeys
Dane and I went up to Ptarmigan Peak yesterday to see if we could find the route Only Hookers Get The Blues (WI4-WI6) but we were not really planning on going there per say so I forgot to look online and see where it was first! We were able to pick it out however after seeing the peak and started our way up. The weather was not to bad a little wind and clear weather, it was looking good. We didn't have our ski's ready so we walked out and it was my first hike since I hurt my knee a week ago so it was slow going. Unfortunately a little to slow as we ate up a bunch of time getting out. We hiked up to the base of the climb through the S gully on pretty hard snow. By the time we got to the base of the climb the weather had deteriorated, a snow had moved in and the wind picked up. We were getting pretty well licked by spin drift coming down the face and the hard ice didn't feel as pleasant when it was hammering my helmet. Basically it was a fun belay! When Dane had finished the first section it was already about 2:30 - 3:00pm and we knew we wouldn't be able to finish the climb before nightfall so we took all the factors in and headed down. I was the smart one who forgot my headlamp, thats just silly. It was a good day though and I really enjoyed it!

Dane gearing up for the climb:
230727113-L.jpg

Ptarmigan Peak, Hookers is in the center of the photo the short line of ice at the top of the lower portion of gully.
230750165-L.jpg

And here it is again from the trail.
230751125-L.jpg

Dane getting a little drink before the climb.
230751881-L.jpg

Heading up the gully. Hookers is on the top left of the photo.
230752609-L.jpg

This gully is steeper then I had initially thought. It was fun to come down!
230753326-L.jpg

Standing at the base of the climb. I was off to the right of the start and after watching the constant ice that actually missed me I felt pretty good about not standing underneath. On top of this first portion of ice is a ledge with a mess of broken ice and snow which is really loose. The harder pitch is visible above.
230745356-L.jpg

Standing at my belay as Dane gets ready to climb. The snow coming down the mountain was enough to fill me in at this spot.
230745839-L.jpg

Dane getting after it.
230746414-L.jpg

Blurry here but shows the drift coming down.
230747284-L.jpg

This rock face is to the right of the hookers further down the gully. There were 3 people climbing on here and turned out to be Carl, Roman, and Scotty. Look close they are actually in this picture. They would later fly by us on their skis.
230748086-L.jpg

One more for the way down. My camera got pretty covered with snow here so it was the last time i brought it out.
230749169-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    ok I had a whole entry and it just wouldn't post ne_nau.gif gotta love crappy internet connections I guess lol

anyway I like the 8th one the bestest.. the composition is great.... at least to me :)

Help this life long Alaskan out - where is Ptarmigan peak? I know I should know this and I'll kick myself when you answer lol

just nice to know SOMEWHERE in Alaska there is snow right now *glares at the freezing rain coming down*
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Awesome job Kelsey! I like the depth and exposure of the "Dane getting after it" one. Shows rather clearly what's usually blown out in ice shots.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Thank you.
    Lovely photos in difficult conditions.

Keep the ice stuff coming.

Sawyer
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    tonichelle wrote:
    ok I had a whole entry and it just wouldn't post ne_nau.gif gotta love crappy internet connections I guess lol

anyway I like the 8th one the bestest.. the composition is great.... at least to me :)

Help this life long Alaskan out - where is Ptarmigan peak? I know I should know this and I'll kick myself when you answer lol

just nice to know SOMEWHERE in Alaska there is snow right now *glares at the freezing rain coming down*

Aww darn internet! Ptarmigan Peak is the peak located further down the ridge from Flattop Peak. Big mean looking north face.

This link has lots of info. Click on the Map sources link and it has great topographic maps.

http://www.alaskamountainforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ptarmigan_Peak

Thanks John it was a great day for some tuff hiking!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 16, 2007
    Brrr'd be my first response :D

Otherwise, great story proving there's lots to do in AK.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?