Options

After Mark Rothko

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited December 10, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Hi Folks:

Over at DPReview one of the challenges is "Art." I submitted the following inspired by Mark Rothko's abstract expressionist prints. Any thoughts? C & C always appreciated:

230766335-L.jpg

EXIF for Original: Nikon D40, ISO 200, f/5.6, 0,8 sec, 70mm, Handheld, No Flash

gassho,

N
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Nacho wrote:
    Hi Folks:

Over at DPReview one of the challenges is "Art." I submitted the following inspired by Mark Rothko's abstract expressionist prints. Any thoughts? C & C always appreciated:

EXIF for Original: Nikon D40, ISO 200, f/5.6, 0,8 sec, 70mm, Handheld, No Flash

gassho,
    N

Hi Nacho,

What I do like about this image is the colours,
    and the frame you chose to add to it, along with the title goes very well with this image.

Personally I don't like abstracts.
    It's an art form that you either like or you don't. (my opinion only)

I look at these things and I say to myself "what is it?" headscratch.gif
    Often the image has more of an impact on the person who created it.

It's a very colourful shot Nacho thumb.gif
    Hope it does well in the challenge ........ Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    That certainly does resemble a Rothko piece. BTW, I've been to the Rothko Chapel in Houston several times and it's always an interesting place to be in - there's some mystery in those huge paintings of his.
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    Thanks!
    Thanks Skippy and Archi:

Skippy, I tend to agree with you. I'm often not moved by abstract expressionism or other abstract/modern work, and in photography my bias goes more toward a grittier documentary style than toward abstraction. I just had to try it! :D

What gets me most about this shot are the colors, bounded by the dark borders at top and bottom, and the way the light just blurred across the shot as if stretching. Skippy, the Rothko chapel! I have not been there. Must be an intriguing place indeed. This image is not quite the sharp rectangular shapes that Rothko would have painted, but the ethos of it reminds me of his work.

Thanks again!

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho