Great Expectations

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited December 14, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi Folks:

A quick and dirty shot I took a bit ago in Portland, OR. Not a great shot, but figured I'd try to play with it to practice my BW conversion skills. I think it would have been better with some diffused fill-flash. I love the expression, and the "great expectations" newspaper headline with the theme of homelessness. Any thoughts, C & C greatly appreciated:

230877096-XL.jpg

EXIF: Nikon D40, ISO 400, f/8.0, 1/30, 35mm, Handheld, No Flash

gassho,

N
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I think your conversion is excellent and I love the irony of the man's expression as he's holding that paper. thumb.gif
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Great expression, and conversion! Maybe it's just me, but I find the white car distracting, you might try a tighter crop on the left or even just tone the white down. Overall nice capture though!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Thanks Schmoo and Beth. That car! : ) He was in a pretty busy corner. Thanks for the thoughts.

Best,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Great expression, and conversion! Maybe it's just me, but I find the white car distracting, you might try a tighter crop on the left or even just tone the white down. Overall nice capture though!
    Or, you can burn the car a bit -- that is the nice thing about b&w -- you needn't worry about mucking up your color cast when burning b&w!

The shot is also a little square on, which leaves it a bit flat in visual dynamics. That's about all I can crit; I tend to like street shots.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com