Options

First Day with the D2H

2»

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Right now mine is on single shots, but I am going to put it back on the continuous. When my camera is on that, it is about impossible to take just one shot. I push the trigger and I have a bunch of shots in sequence, never want to delete any. One might be clearer. But I sure go through my cards fast.

Won't need it unless you send my birds back.

g
    Hey Ginger,

Glad you liked the shots. We didn't steal your birds, don't need them. We have pretty much of a surplus down here. :D

I find the continuous mode good when they are hunting and feeding. You have to shoot before the action starts to get the better shots. When they are just standing around and posing you can do the single shoot w/o missing anything.

Hope you find your birdds, if you do try not to lose them again.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    dixie,

thanks for the well-wishes :D and i really enjoyed my tour thru your galleries
    i am 60 my son is pushing 13 thinks he is 33 acts like he is 4 makes me fell 90 now i have to help him with his math and yosemite is the only thing i have done in years with out him ,he is not happy I will bring the candles you do not want me to bake a cake :cry ne_nau.gif this well be a happy b day Andy Dixie is right I am working on my birthday so i will think of yosemite as my b day gift Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Hi Harry,

Hope ypu are over the pain of the colonoscopy by now:cry ! I have been following along even though I am not posting much lately...have become more of a lurker...yikes!!

So you got a D2H...looks as though it will be great for you! Best of Luck with it!!

I think I have Craig just about convinced that for our 50th BD's we should purchase new cameras and get some lenses. He really would rather have a plasma screen Tv but I want his butt off the couch! out shooting with me.

So I am thinking (2)350D or 20'ds,(2) 50-500 Bigmas and (1)24-70 (1) 17-85...tripods and filters and gig cards....any input will be helpful...of course there will be a learning curve for each of us...but thats ok...
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Trish323 wrote:
    Hi Harry,

Hope ypu are over the pain of the colonoscopy by nowbncry.gif ! I have been following along even though I am not posting much lately...have become more of a lurker...yikes!!

So you got a D2H...looks as though it will be great for you! Best of Luck with it!!

I think I have Craig just about convinced that for our 50th BD's we should purchase new cameras and get some lenses. He really would rather have a plasma screen Tv but I want his butt off the couch! out shooting with me.

So I am thinking (2)350D or 20'ds,(2) 50-500 Bigmas and (1)24-70 (1) 17-85...tripods and filters and gig cards....any input will be helpful...of course there will be a learning curve for each of us...but thats ok...
    Hey Trish,

The colonoscopy was no big deal, the prep day was not all that much fun though.

Great idea about getting cameras instead of some TV thing. Tell Craig he needs to get out and not be at home sitting and watching TV.

I would go for the 20Ds over the 350Ds not that I would lower myself to by a Canon though. I would consider the a Sigma 80-400 instead of two Bigmas. The Bigma is one heavy lens and if you are going to be shooting in the wetlands you don't want to be tethered to a tripod.

Finally you still have a fine camera (the 717) no need for you to be lurking. 15524759-Ti.gif Take some pics and do some posting. I expect to see some pics by Wednesday or you will have some explaining to do.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Very nice shots Harry! Wow. I love the turtle shot and the caption to go along with it! lol3.gif

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Cosmic wrote:
    Very nice shots Harry! Wow. I love the turtle shot and the caption to go along with it! lol3.gif

~Heidi~
    Hey Heidi,

Good hearing from ya. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.
    Harry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 13, 2005
    Harry,

I'll take your learning shots any day :D

Enjoy the camera and looking forward to some new egrets!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Harry,

I'll take your learning shots any day :D

Enjoy the camera and looking forward to some new egrets!

Ian
    Thanks Ian. I can assure you that there will be many more egret shots in the very near future. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Ian. I can assure you that there will be many more egret shots in the very near future. :D
    So you do expect more egrets any day. And I know where they are coming from.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Hi Harry,
    Great to see you are enjoying the new camera. I'm loving mine, been able to do few landscapes and portraits, it's working out just great and proving to be a good partner to my D70.
    I'm finding that the smaller size for the RAW files doesn't seem to compromise quality at all and the sensible size of the files is great.
    While we still have plenty of snow, I'll be looking out for your shots - send some birds up here when you get the chance :D
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Hi Harry,
    Great to see you are enjoying the new camera. I'm loving mine, been able to do few landscapes and portraits, it's working out just great and proving to be a good partner to my D70.
    I'm finding that the smaller size for the RAW files doesn't seem to compromise quality at all and the sensible size of the files is great.
    While we still have plenty of snow, I'll be looking out for your shots - send some birds up here when you get the chance :D
    Hi David,

I love this camera. I've used it three times so far and it just keeps getting better. My ratio of keepers on action and flights shots has really jumped. I'm getting shots with this camera that I never would have gotten with my D100. The image quality is better and I've had no problems with cropping shots. This is the first DSLR that Nikon designed that was not based on a film body and it shows. I have never had a camera that handles so well. It just feels so right when I pick it up. I'm a happy camper.
    Harry
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    D2H, Man, I'm jealous, thats a sweet setup. Great shots too. The progression of shots and the narrative made me smile. I can't wait to see more...

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Ummm that Turtle...
    Did he just turn his motor off? hehehe came in with the birds did he?
    Little Jet Propelled butt? ha ha ha ha rolleyes1.gif

Well you sure look like your having a ball with your new Cam Harry.
    I love your bird pictures,
    ....... but that Turtle..did ya notice it's got no feathers ne_nau.gif

Take Care Harry....looking forward to seeing more of your images :D
    Skippy (Australia)
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi You'll,

I hooked my 300mm/f4 lens and 1.4 TC to my brand new new D2H and headed on over to the Wetlands to get acquainted with the camera. As with all new cameras there's a learning curve so I wasn't trying to get award winning shots, just trying to meld with the new equipment.

The main reason for upgrading to the D2H was its larger buffer and faster focusing so I could get better action and flight shots.

I started slowly

Since its Egret Fest

I slowly moved into action shots

tried a flight shot

Finally on a smaller bird, a shot I wouldn't even try with the D100

No award winners today but at least all the shots I blew today were because of me and not the camera.
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    D2H, Man, I'm jealous, thats a sweet setup. Great shots too. The progression of shots and the narrative made me smile. I can't wait to see more...

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Hey Ian,

Thanks, I am thrilled with the D2H. I can assure you that you wil be seeing more very soon. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Did he just turn his motor off? hehehe came in with the birds did he?
    Little Jet Propelled butt? ha ha ha ha rolleyes1.gif

Well you sure look like your having a ball with your new Cam Harry.
    I love your bird pictures,
    ....... but that Turtle..did ya notice it's got no feathers ne_nau.gif

Take Care Harry....looking forward to seeing more of your images :D
    Skippy (Australia)
    Hey Skippy,

That turtle was no slow poke. I was lucky to catch him during his 16 hour rest period. :D

I am enjoying the new camera and thanks for stopping by.
    Harry