Basketball: Valparaiso v. Texas North (women)

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited December 12, 2007 in Sports
Here's a few from the last Valparaiso University Crusader's basketball game. I shot at 1/320 and f4 per recommendations from people on this forum... however I'm tempted to go a little slower at f/250 just because so many of my shots were really dark and had to be lightened later in Lightroom when I was editing. 1/320 on my lens caused a lot of darkness. However the good lighting was not on during this game, so if they turn it on for the next game I may give 1/320 another try...

Anyhoo, let me know thoughts, comments, tips for improvement, etc. Thanks for looking! (And keep in mind I only started shooting college basketball this year, purely for fun, so all feedback is welcomed to help me improve as I'm sure I still have a ways to go!)
http://shima.smugmug.com/gallery/3970169

230726576-M-1.jpg

230723760-M-1.jpg

230723001-M.jpg

this one is one of those that was hurt by the image being too dark at the settings I had one... white balance didn't get fixed ideal, and it's on the grainy side from all the lightening up I did...
230728503-M.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Where is this girls head?........... 11doh.gif

230723760-M-1.jpg

:giggle Maybe try a different crop.

Sorry, couldn't resist thumb.gif
    Randy
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    Where is this girls head?........... 11doh.gif

230723760-M-1.jpg

:giggle Maybe try a different crop.

Sorry, couldn't resist thumb.gif

Who cares? She was on the other team lol. I just like how the valpo girl looks like a ballerina flying through the air, lol.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Yep, still too underexposed.

I also agree with the OP about the one crop and cutting someone off at the kneck. In general it's OK to have partial crops of people that are not the subject but that's a bit distracting.

You've caught some decent action, but the underexposure is really killing the shots.
    edited December 12, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Yep, still too underexposed.

I also agree with the OP about the one crop and cutting someone off at the kneck. In general it's OK to have partial crops of people that are not the subject but that's a bit distracting.

You've caught some decent action, but the underexposure is really killing the shots.

So what settings can I shoot at that will have better exposure? I only shot at those settings since that was what was recommended to me after my last post...
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    So what settings can I shoot at that will have better exposure? I only shot at those settings since that was what was recommended to me after my last post...

Actually in your last post I recommended f4 wasn't good enough. You're trying to pound a square peg in a round hole here. It doesn't fit well. You have two evils to choose from when using an f4 lens:
    1. Underexpose
    2. Use a slower shutter speed

That's it. Those are your choices. If you use a slower shutter speed you have to contend with motion blur. You can still get some shots since there are natural pauses in the motion. But other shots will be unusable due to the motion blur.

Neither is a great solution, but it is what it is when you try to pound square pegs into round holes. It's one of the reasons sports shooting is so difficult - it is very demanding of the equipment used and there is no one-lens-fits-all solution. Different sports require different lenses. Since you can't afford a new lens you either have to accept the limitations and work within them (i.e use slower shutter speeds and reduced shot selection) or simply choose another subject to photograph for now.

Now, the good news is you are getting good practice - so you're learning how to shoot basketball. And that is a good thing and may be a good reason to keep at it even though you don't have the right equipment. The bad news is: it's going to be tough to get quality photos trying to capture all action given your gear limitations.
    edited December 12, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Actually in your last post I recommended f4 wasn't good enough. You're trying to pound a square peg in a round hole here. It doesn't fit well. You have two evils to choose from when using an f4 lens:
    1. Underexpose
    2. Use a slower shutter speed

That's it. Those are your choices. If you use a slower shutter speed you have to contend with motion blur. You can still get some shots since there are natural pauses in the motion. But other shots will be unusable due to the motion blur.

Neither is a great solution, but it is what it is when you try to pound square pegs into round holes. It's one of the reasons sports shooting is so difficult - it is very demanding of the equipment used and there is no one-lens-fits-all solution. Different sports require different lenses. Since you can't afford a new lens you either have to accept the limitations and work within them (i.e use slower shutter speeds and reduced shot selection) or simply choose another subject to photograph for now.

Now, the good news is you are getting good practice - so you're learning how to shoot basketball. And that is a good thing and may be a good reason to keep at it even though you don't have the right equipment. The bad news is: it's going to be tough to get quality photos trying to capture all action given your gear limitations.

Yeah I realize f4 isn't good enough, every day I mumble about wanting the 2.8 version of my lens but unfortunately I don't have the extra change just laying around... so all I'm trying to do here is make the best out of the less than ideal lens I have to work with presently. Along that note, read this for a nice smile, heh: http://www.valpo.edu/it/summit/vol2iss8/wish-list.php

I'm mentioned in the second paragraph, it will be super obvious, lol.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    Yeah I realize f4 isn't good enough, every day I mumble about wanting the 2.8 version of my lens but unfortunately I don't have the extra change just laying around... so all I'm trying to do here is make the best out of the less than ideal lens I have to work with presently. Along that note, read this for a nice smile, heh: http://www.valpo.edu/it/summit/vol2iss8/wish-list.php

I'm mentioned in the second paragraph, it will be super obvious, lol.

I am lucky enough to have a 70-200 f2.8 that I have been using for the past few games, and with ISO 3200 I can get 1/400 at f2.8 and it works just fine.

But if you are low in change... you can always go 50mm f1.8 and/or 85mm f1.8
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
    edited December 12, 2007
    I am lucky enough to have a 70-200 f2.8 that I have been using for the past few games, and with ISO 3200 I can get 1/400 at f2.8 and it works just fine.

But if you are low in change... you can always go 50mm f1.8 and/or 85mm f1.8

The rebel can only go up to 1600 ISO... I'm also dreaming of upgrading my body to the 40D eventually....

so many wishes... so little money...

and while I could probably swing a 85 f1.8 *now* I'd rather pocket that money in my savings account and keep saving towards the 70-200 f2.8/L IS... I really want that lens since it will not only be good for the "fun" of sports photography (which I do not do for pay yet) but more importantly it would come in handy during receptions at weddings (which I do get paid for)... so thinking of the bigger picture I keep on dreaming and saving money and eventually the dream goodie will be in my grasp... eventually.............

What's really depressing to me is sitting next to the lucky photogs from the local newspapers who get to use the 70-200 2.8 is and they're just like "oh i don't know much about this lens, my company just pays for stuff and I get to use it" such lucky people they are and they barely even realize it!
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Ohh I feel your pain... It is depressing standing on the football field next to some random newspaper guy with 2 x 1D Mark II, one with a 70-200 F2.8 and one with a 300 F2.8... :cry

But, you can always think of Sigma, I got a 70-200 f2.8 and it is as fast as the Canon one I tried last week mwink.gif

ps: with ISO 1600, you can shoot at f2.0 and get 1/400.
    Shima wrote:
    The rebel can only go up to 1600 ISO... I'm also dreaming of upgrading my body to the 40D eventually....

so many wishes... so little money...

and while I could probably swing a 85 f1.8 *now* I'd rather pocket that money in my savings account and keep saving towards the 70-200 f2.8/L IS... I really want that lens since it will not only be good for the "fun" of sports photography (which I do not do for pay yet) but more importantly it would come in handy during receptions at weddings (which I do get paid for)... so thinking of the bigger picture I keep on dreaming and saving money and eventually the dream goodie will be in my grasp... eventually.............

What's really depressing to me is sitting next to the lucky photogs from the local newspapers who get to use the 70-200 2.8 is and they're just like "oh i don't know much about this lens, my company just pays for stuff and I get to use it" such lucky people they are and they barely even realize it!
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Hey Shima, it does look like you have reached the limit of your equipment. As johng mentioned you are doing all you can with what you have. You are doing this for fun, so don't worry about getting the exposure, you can just continue to shoot for the practice. This will get your timing down and a good feel for where you want to position yourself on the floor. The CWB looks like it did well in the first two shots so you are on the right path.

Don't become to frustrated with your equipment. A lot of people start out thinking shooting sports will be cool only to find out over time their equipment is just not up to the task. Someday it will and you will have some experience under your belt when the time comes to upgrade.

If you want some usable action shots you may want to consider a 50/1.8. This will set you back less than $100 and give you another low light option for your wedding work. Be aware you will have a lot of throw away shots due to the focus not being super fast and the DOF being fairly narrow. Concentrate on the other shots in the game with your f4 lens. Coaches, players expressions on the bench, at the scoring table, those types of shots were you can get the proper exposure and not have to worry about stopping action.

Good luck and keep at it and lets see some of the other shots, those can be great emotion filled photos, that can make a lasting impression.
    Dan

Canon Gear