Moving up in body from xti - 40d or 5d?

paddlerxpaddlerx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited December 12, 2007 in Cameras
i shoot everything. sports/landscapes/artsy etc. current lenses are sigma 10-20, canon 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 f4, 50 1.8.

why do i want one over the other. any and all comments welcome. thanks in advance.

don
40d/sigma 10-20/24-70 2.8L /Canon 70-200f4/50 f1.8/Canon 430EX/ebay triggers and so on.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 11, 2007
    IMHO the Canon 5D is not a very good choice for sports applications. I suggest that the Canon 40D is a very good choice overall and compatible with all of your current lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I like the cropped cameras. I do a good deal of sports & that extra reach from the crop body is free glass in my book and with the quality of the stitching programmes avail these days you can do fantastic landscapes at say 20 mm panoramas with several shots on the cropped cameras.

Just my thoughts.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I just switched from the XTi to the 40D. Very, very happy.

One thing I would consider: 5D is near the end of its life and the 40D is brand, spakin' new. I realize they are apples and oranges (or maybe Fujis and Granny Smiths), but it's worth considering.

I think all your glass will work on both (don't know about the Sigma), but I'd still give the 40D a hard look.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I have the 5D, which replaced my 300D (6mp Digital Rebel) a couple years ago. I like it a lot, especially as a 13mp full frame that takes great wide angle shots, but I am considering the 40D for the extra reach and also for the 6.5 fps over the 5D's 3fps.

Plus it's shiney and new iloveyou.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • paddlerxpaddlerx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    40d it is
    thanks for the comments...its helped me out a great deal.

now to sell the xti.

cheers.
    40d/sigma 10-20/24-70 2.8L /Canon 70-200f4/50 f1.8/Canon 430EX/ebay triggers and so on.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    paddlerx wrote:
    thanks for the comments...its helped me out a great deal.

now to sell the xti.

cheers.

I've had my 40d for a week and I love it! I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography