Canon G7/G9 wide converter (WC-DC58B)

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited December 13, 2007 in Cameras
I know there are many of you out there with a G7 or G9, but do any of you have any experience with the wide angle converter - either Canon's own WC-DC58B or any other 58mm type accessory lens?

I googled the heck out of it and can't really find any example photos showing just how wide this lens can make the G9. I could barely even find a short review of it's performance.

I often have a very hard time finding room for my 30D and 10-22 + one other lens on business or motorcycle trips. I'm close, oh so close on a G9. If someone can show me how to make it go wiiiiide, I'd be sold.

:ear
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 11, 2007
    works everytime... right after I post, I stubbornly keep looking and find something.

example shots, here:
    http://www.bangkoksite.com/DigitalPicGallery/G9Pictures/G9-11L.htm

definitely not as wide as a 10-22. Which begs the next question, has anyone ever used a fisheye adapter on this type of camera (apparently most all the Canon and other brand point/shoots use the 58mm style adapter)?
    Erik

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 11, 2007
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 11, 2007
    Eric, my Canon Wide angle converter lens for the G9 arrived just today. I have not yet received the adapter to mount it yet- it is coming from a different vendor, but it should be just a few days at the most.

I will let you know how it works out. I have never been a fan of these kinds of things, but the G9 just says to me "Let me att'em boss!" so I had to give it a try.

It is the WC-DC58B Canon wide angle conversion lens. It is large - 4 inches in diameter at the included lens hood, and 2 1/4 inches thick, and heavy. At least as much as the camera if not more. This will swallow a G9 - well, not really, but it will dwarf it anyway. The glass looks nice and multi-coated.

I have the telephoto ordered also.

By the time you get a 430ex Speedlite and a Really Right Stuff bracket on it, the camera will have seemed to disappeared into thin air.

I do have frames I shot with it in this gallery that I have to remind myself were NOT shot with my 5D, like this one...

210543826-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I do have frames I shot with it in this gallery that I have to remind myself were NOT shot with my 5D, like this one...
    Your original post of those shots is one of the main reasons I keep wondering why I lug the 30D on our 2up motorcycle trips. It's different if I go out alone to ride/shoot, but when the Mrs and I load up for a long trip... well, you know how it is. :D

And Ziggy, thanks for the link. That .66x Raynox is looking good.
    Erik

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    I've used it on the S5 IS.

I thought it would be more noticeable that is, from a FOV perspective, and less noticeable, ergonomically.

Only used it a couple of times, need more time before I can make a more intelligent comment. Second thought, probably need more than time. :uhoh
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    I used the wide angle attachment on the G3. I was pretty happy with it.

3706441-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 12, 2007
    So, Sid, the wide angle lens arrived today, so I shot a few frames of the G9 with the wide angle lens mounted on it, with a Nikon CoolPix 950 2 Mgpixel flip and shoot P&S. Nothing fancy, just set the G9 down and point and shoot with oncamera flash. I told you the lens was big and heavy

231775893-L.jpg

And another

231775954-L.jpg

And a close up of my canine companion with a G9 and the wide angle adapter at ISO 800 ( it has had a trip through Noiseware )

231774901-L.jpg

You will NOT be able to use the onboard electronic flash with this wide angle adapter, for sure.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    You will NOT be able to use the onboard electronic flash with this wide angle adapter, for sure.
    Looks good.

And yes, I'd forgotten about that. The lens intrudes on the flash in a very ugly way.

BTW, I would not recommend the optional long lens. Bad vignetting at wider focal lengths, and not good quality, I thought.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    231775893-S.jpg

231775954-S.jpg

Re: DocIt's portability quest, how is the above any better than a SLR?
    Tim
    edited December 13, 2007
    Probably still packs as small as my 30D + 10-22 but once unscrewed, you have a 35-210.

And actually, the Raynox Ziggy linked to is even wider (.60 against Canon's .75) and substantially smaller.

I won't mention that I've found .45x lenses on ebay for $50 that are pretty small. I think I could get by with less than perfection for that wide effect, which I usually use in perfect light anyway.
    Erik

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007

For me, it is because 90% of the time I don't need or bring it. ne_nau.gif

I do leave the 58mm adapter on, however, just for UV/Polarizing/ND filters, and a lens cap that actually works.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 13, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ... I won't mention that I've found .45x lenses on ebay for $50 that are pretty small. I think I could get by with less than perfection for that wide effect, which I usually use in perfect light anyway.

I tried one of those cheap optics for a video application. Since video requires far less quality I figured I could get away with the cheaper lenses.

Even in video the results were really poor.

I wound up using a $250 accessory lens which did pretty well.

I advise staying away from the really cheap stuff.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums