canon 24-105L IS question

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited December 20, 2007 in Cameras
i have the 24-105L series lens and as some of you know i am not happy with the "sharpness" of the photos that i take with it. I am in Asia and haven't been able to get the lens calibrated. I am wondering if the lack of tack sharpness is caused by the way I am using the lens. My concern is with "people" shots or protraits.

lets say i am shooting at a focal length of 80mm in AV mode with a shutter speed of say 1/250. Does it make a difference (as far as sharpness goes) if i have the IS on or off :dunno? the reason i ask is that a photographer from Sweeden who has the same lens says that the IS will look for movement and having the IS on if the shutter speed is "fast enough" will cause "softness"

thanks for the input

Dave

Comments

• timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    I think if you're taking the picture before you let the IS completely "settle", it will basically create shake in the image. If your shutter speed is at 1/250 its worth it to try shooting without the IS to see if it improves.

FWIW, I've been very happy with my 24-105--all around a sharp lens for me.
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    thanks
    thanks, I guess I didn't realize that the IS needed to "settle" but that makes sense. a lot of my photos are street action shots in foreign countries where often times it is a quick point and shoot (i now that the 24-70 would have been the best lens for this). I will try shooting with the IS off in these situations. I may need to bump up the ISO to get a fast enough shutter speed but i can live with that. In any event, i am going to take the lens to an authorized service center in saigon in a few weeks to get it calibrated.
    timnosenzo wrote:
    I think if you're taking the picture before you let the IS completely "settle", it will basically create shake in the image. If your shutter speed is at 1/250 its worth it to try shooting without the IS to see if it improves.

cheers,

Dave

FWIW, I've been very happy with my 24-105--all around a sharp lens for me.
  • Rick_RRick_R Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    i have the 24-105L series lens and as some of you know i am not happy with the "sharpness" of the photos that i take with it. I am in Asia and haven't been able to get the lens calibrated. I am wondering if the lack of tack sharpness is caused by the way I am using the lens. My concern is with "people" shots or protraits.

lets say i am shooting at a focal length of 80mm in AV mode with a shutter speed of say 1/250. Does it make a difference (as far as sharpness goes) if i have the IS on or off ne_nau.gif? the reason i ask is that a photographer from Sweeden who has the same lens says that the IS will look for movement and having the IS on if the shutter speed is "fast enough" will cause "softness"

thanks for the input

Dave
    I would agree that turning the IS off my help the sharpness in quick shots. I found the same thing with sports photos (Bike races) where I did not give the IS time to settle produced soft shots when I left the IS on. I turned the IS off and my keeper rate went up. You may wish to try a set of photos with and without the IS and see which looks better.

Regards
    Rick
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    I also see cases of IS issues. In my case, if the lens/camera can achieve a focus lock before the IS settles, the camera will allow the shot to be taken and the photo will be soft. If I slow down my technique just a bit and wait for the IS, then sharp is the word for the day. I have seen this happen with both my 17-55 f/2.8 IS and my 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

So, if you have time to take the shot and can wait for the IS, then I would suggest to leave it on in those situations. However, if you are needing to do "point-and-shoot" or "drive-by shooting", then the IS will hinder you and/or make your photos less sharp than they might have been otherwise.

YMMV
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    quick update on lens status
    as many of you know i haven't been happy with my 24-105L. well that has all changed now that i know how to "use" it.

i am now deciding when to use the IS (ie paying attention) as well as "changing the ISO". i guess i was an ISO snob and hated increasing it from 100a for my portraits thinking that the Is would save the day.

well for my environmental portraits as well as just plain old portraits i have been increasing the ISO, using faster shutter speeds and shooting with the IS off and my portraits are now "tack" sharp, almost like my 135L.

live and learn

cheers,

dave
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Good to hear. Isn't it nice to have an epiphany & discover "new" features and increased capability in the gear you already have? :D
  • eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    I've felt that my 24-105L was a little soft as well. Since most others seemed to have different results I've assumed it was me. It's nice to hear others are seeing similar results, and more importantly, nailing it down to a potential cause (IS), and solution.

Thanks all!
    -Steve