Noob question about canon lens compatibility?

firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited December 13, 2007 in Cameras
I own the 20D and love it. For Christmas I am receiving the 40D body. In the future I want the canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens for my horse photography. But I read (somewhere) that the lens is not compatible with the 20d. Is that correct? And if so, why is that? Thanks for putting up with me!

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    I own the 20D and love it. For Christmas I am receiving the 40D body. In the future I want the canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens for my horse photography. But I read (somewhere) that the lens is not compatible with the 20d. Is that correct? And if so, why is that? Thanks for putting up with me!

Someone misinformed you. The EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS or non-IS works just fine on the 20D, 30D, 40D, etc. I've used it on all three.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    As far as I know that lens would be compatible. The only issues are with lenses that are labeled as EF-S, instead of EF. The EF-S lenses are designed for crop bodies, like the 20D, 30D, 40D (this is still a crop body and should work with all Canon lenses designed for digital), Rebel XT, Rebel XTi, etc...

Right now the only cameras that are not crop bodies are the Canon 5D and 1Ds MkII and MkIII.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT: hgernhardtjr beat me to it!
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    As far as I know that lens would be compatible. The only issues are with lenses that are labeled as EF-S, instead of EF. The EF-S lenses are designed for crop bodies, like the 20D, 30D, 40D (this is still a crop body and should work with all Canon lenses designed for digital), Rebel XT, Rebel XTi, etc...

Right now the only cameras that are not crop bodies are the Canon 5D and 1Ds MkII and MkIII.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT: hgernhardtjr beat me to it!
    EF lenses will work on any EOS camera. That includes the Digital Rebel line, the 10/20/30/40D, plus all the other bodies, like the 1D series and the 5D. The EF-S line only works on the crop bodies with the caveat that they will not work on the 10D. The 10D is not an EF-S mount even though it is a crop body.

The others are correct. Whereever you read that a 70-200 will not work on a 20D was very misinformed.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited December 12, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    EF lenses will work on any EOS camera. That includes the Digital Rebel line, the 10/20/30/40D, plus all the other bodies, like the 1D series and the 5D. The EF-S line only works on the crop bodies with the caveat that they will not work on the 10D. The 10D is not an EF-S mount even though it is a crop body.

The others are correct. Whereever you read that a 70-200 will not work on a 20D was very misinformed.

Thanks for clearing up my muddiness merc! :D
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    headscratch.gif Well, then someone forgot to tell my 20D, it loves having a 70-200 of any flavor hanging off it. mwink.gif For future reference, the 20D can mount any EOS lens; with adapters it can also mount just about anything else out there.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 12, 2007
    Just for the sake of completeness:

The Canon 1D MKII/MKIII are "APS-H" bodies, crop 1.3x, and are also "not" able to use EF-S lenses.

I am able to mount the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM on the Canon 1D MKII and pull a pretty nice 8 x 10 from the center (with some post-processing work in the extreme corners.) The equivalent of a 13mm rectilinear lens is just amazingly wide. :D
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 12, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Just for the sake of completeness:

The Canon 1D MKII/MKIII are "APS-H" bodies, crop 1.3x, and are also "not" able to use EF-S lenses.

I am able to mount the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM on the Canon 1D MKII and pull a pretty nice 8 x 10 from the center (with some post-processing work in the extreme corners.) The equivalent of a 13mm rectilinear lens is just amazingly wide. :D

For some reason I thought that Canon had a full frame sensor in their 1D series. Is the 5D Canon's only true full frame offering?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 12, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    For some reason I thought that Canon had a full frame sensor in their 1D series. Is the 5D Canon's only true full frame offering?

The Canon 1D MKII/MKIII are crop 1.3x.
    The Canon 1Ds MKII/MKIII/5D are full-frame.

The little "s" is significant. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Thanks everyone! I had a hard time understanding why it was "not compatible" and so when I couldn't find the answer by doing some research on the subject I had to come to the wonderful people at DG. So now I know that it won't be a problem. Now here's to making more money next season so I can buy that lens.

Thanks!

Christina