Misty - diva

GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited December 13, 2007 in People
Pic for a alternative magazine in the area, she is a 50somehing drag queen.
218620720-L.jpg
Giselle

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 12, 2007
    well, I think the outfit looks better on him/her than it would on me-

I think it's a good shot-
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    well, I think the outfit looks better on him/her than it would on me-

I think it's a good shot-

15524779-Ti.gif It is a nice capture. The background looks just a little too lit, drawing attention away fromt he central subject. If it was a stop or so below the subject lighting, it would be dead on.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Giselle, if you put it in Whipping Post I would gladly whip it! Is that sort of thing also part of the subject's credentials? Laughing.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    What a distur...errr, unusual...portrait.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    I think it's absolutely wonderful to be seeing a variety of portrait and model types here. The pose is classic and very flattering. The background could be more minimal or even cropped down to bring the attention more to the model. I'd also like to see the light coming from a slightly less straight-on angle but I still think this is a great shot of a lovely person. Great job, the two of you! thumb.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    Giselle, if you put it in Whipping Post I would gladly whip it! Is that sort of thing also part of the subject's credentials? Laughing.gif

Giselle didn't put it in WP, she put it here and you're welcome to comment on the effectiveness of her photograph without unwarranted snipes on the subject.
    edited December 13, 2007
    Giselle:

I too think you did a rather nice job of capturing the subject (albeit the light is a tad harsh) but the background elements are too numerous and distracting.

Considering the subject's poise, I would have tried for a juxtaposition of him against the interesting mix of raw brick and classic woodwork casing at the windows if it were possible to isolate them in that manner.
  • GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    If you want to read thw article
    http://outsmartmagazine.com/cms-this_issue/200712--Play+Misty+for+Us.html?PHPSESSID=2a2d2f541af837e6b4e7817e3c318d4f

They used a different pic in the mag...too overdone in my opinion but more about the subject like yall said, I guess I was digging the cool loft too much!
    218620356-L.jpg

Thanks for all your comments, and feel free to whip anything I post, I am here to learn and hopefully improve.
    Giselle
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Both pics are really good and with your eye I am a little surprised that you did not shoot a tad lowere in the 1st shot...but I also at times do the slightly down shot like this.......my true concern was for the flash relection in the window.......I think I might have show a stop or two lower to darken the bg...but over all I like them both as I do all of your work I have seen.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 13, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Giselle didn't put it in WP, she put it here and you're welcome to comment on the effectiveness of her photograph without unwarranted snipes on the subject.

I didn't comment on the photograph because I would have needed to say more than I like it or I don't. I don't think it works and I think it is not flattering to the subject. To say just that would be to say nothing much. To say more than that here would not be appropriate, that is my understanding. But for Giselle to have more comment might be valuable. My suggestion to her was meant to be constructive. I think if she placed it in the Whipping Post forum she would receive frank but supportive, careful and skilled comments as are typically to be found there, sometimes with a dash of mischievous humor.

I know nothing about the subject in a personal sense. Giselle describes her as a drag queen. A drag queen is an entertainer, by definition. It is a public persona, not a private life. A drag queen is a potent political/social/moral stance, which exists to arouse responses. The drag queen's normal fare is caricature, hyperbole, irony, innuendo, bawdy, pathos. It was in that spirit that I wrote as I did.

Hope this relieves any angst...

edited December 13, 2007
    I was going to let it go, I hate when things get itchy here, but I just had to add...
    I have met some of the nicest people working for his magazine, they don't judge you, so try returning the favor.
    Giselle
    edited December 13, 2007
    Giselle, I think the photo they used for the article is nice too but I agree that it's a little over-processed for my taste!

I forgot to mention in my initial comment that I really dig the loft, too. I think there is a way to get her posed in there and include the really swank BG too but that might take more skill with posing models and setting up lights than I have.

I hope you get to work more with this magazine and with her! thumb.gif
    edited December 13, 2007
    Giselle wrote:
    I was going to let it go, I hate when things get itchy here, but I just had to add...
    I have met some of the nicest people working for his magazine, they don't judge you, so try returning the favor.

Giselle, hope you have read my earlier post, just above this one of yours.

edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    I didn't comment on the photograph because I would have needed to say more than I like it or I don't. I don't think it works and I think it is not flattering to the subject. To say just that would be to say nothing much. To say more than that here would not be appropriate, that is my understanding. But for Giselle to have more comment might be valuable. My suggestion to her was meant to be constructive. I think if she placed it in the Whipping Post forum she would receive supportive, careful and skilled comments as are typically to be found there, sometimes with a dash of mischievous humor.

I know nothing about the subject in a personal sense. Giselle describes her as a drag queen. A drag queen is an entertainer, by definition. It is a public persona, not a private life. A drag queen is a potent political/social/moral stance, which exists to arouse responses. The drag queen's normal fare is caricature , hyperbole, irony, innuendo, bawdy, pathos. It was in that spirit that I wrote as I did.

I didn't put it in the whipping post because if I understand the rules, it should be our best work, which I don't think this is. But I did post it because I usually get good c/c here too.
    I also described her as a drag queen because that was what the article was about, maybe I should have explained more.
    OK, with that said lets start talking religion or politics, something light like that!:D
    Giselle
    edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    Giselle, hope you have read my earlier post, just above this one of yours.
    I took it as you taking up for her, no problem.
    Giselle
    edited December 13, 2007
    Giselle wrote:
    I didn't put it in the whipping post because if I understand the rules, it should be our best work, which I don't think this is. But I did post it because I usually get good c/c here too.
    I also described her as a drag queen because that was what the article was about, maybe I should have explained more.
    OK, with that said lets start talking religion or politics, something light like that!:D

Ha ha!

Understand.

These things can get "technical"! A drag queen is not a transvestite or transgender. It does help to be clear on such points!

Why not try it in Whipping Post? That you were submitting it to a magazine for pay makes it pretty much a "best work", it would seem to me.

Best wishes to all concerned!

edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    Ha ha!

Understand.

These things can get "technical"! A drag queen is not a transvestite. It does help to be clear on such points!

Tell me about it, a friend was transgender but just got snipped, so now a female? I don't think I want to be a woman that bad!

Here is a edited version, maybe next time I will do it right in the camera, I hate "fixing" stuff after the fact. Does i look any better? There is still too much light in the center huh?
    231924298-L.jpg
    Giselle
    edited December 13, 2007
    Hi Giselle

For me the subject is awkwardly posed. And what she is posed on and with distracts and detracts from her presentation. She is suggesting glamor, slightly perverse, with faint associations with high class bordello, but the ambiance is "loft", as you yourself describe it.

Are we to see her as offering herself to a possible client in this unlikely setting, or as a bored "housewife" at home, all dressed up with no particular place to go? Why doesn't she look at us, as she does in the photo the mag chose? And I think of the two images, they made the right choice. Maybe you could get some feedback from them as to why they chose that way?

I feel that you need to take a much stronger directorial role in the construction of the shot, which means that you need to know what your purpose is and what you want the shot to be.

I would like to see your position be closer to her feet, and slightly below the level of her face, looking up her body. Or the other way, above her left shoulder. Either way, foreshortening her body a little. Her legs are attractive and have a nice texture, so they could carry more of the image. Plus change of color/setting scheme as mentioned, to fit with your vision.

Can the almighty Photoshop do all that? Not YET, I think! Laughing.gif

This comes to mind...

231931743-L.jpg

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Sorry, Moderator
    I go back and forth on occasion between DGrin and Adventure Rider. Sometimes I forget where I am. My lame attempt at humor was out of line for this forum.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited December 13, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    I go back and forth on occasion between DGrin and Adventure Rider. Sometimes I forget where I am. My lame attempt at humor was out of line for this forum.

I think it's cool that you take part of both communities so avidly. thumb.gif Just trying to keep the comments focused on the photo and the input related to it!
    edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    Hi Giselle

For me the subject is awkwardly posed. And what she is posed on and with distracts and detracts from her presentation. She is suggesting glamor, slightly perverse, with faint associations with high class bordello, but the ambiance is "loft", as you yourself describe it.

Are we to see her as offering herself to a possible client in this unlikely setting, or as a bored "housewife" at home, all dressed up with no particular place to go? Why doesn't she look at us, as she does in the photo the mag chose? And I think of the two images, they made the right choice. Maybe you could get some feedback from them as to why they chose that way?

I feel that you need to take a much stronger directorial role in the construction of the shot, which means that you need to know what your purpose is and what you want the shot to be.

I would like to see your position be closer to her feet, and slightly below the level of her face, looking up her body. Or the other way, above her left shoulder. Either way, foreshortening her body a little. Her legs are attractive and have a nice texture, so they could carry more of the image. Plus change of color/setting scheme as mentioned, to fit with your vision.

Can the almighty Photoshop do all that? Not YET, I think! Laughing.gif

This comes to mind...

231931743-L.jpg

The magazines budget is little to none. The original location was an old theater that didn't happen the last minute. This was were they sent me and the editor told me to try for glamorous. Beside the damn tree (sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I dont notice that stuff) is this more of the position you are talking about? I have such a hard time with posing, I can see it in my mind but can't seem to get them to look right doing it. Like this bad chin shot.
    218624052-L.jpg
    Giselle
    edited December 13, 2007
    You said it about the chin! Laughing.gif

But, actually, in the right setting/ambiance, I think the chin would MAKE the pic, together with the legs, of course. You would really have a telling image there.

Yes, I like this pose for the pictorial and narrative potential is has. The face is fascinating. However, as well as the infamous loft, the jacket (why is she wearing that indoors?) is not draped well (there needs to be more flesh on view where the "cleavage" might be). Nor are the arms/hands.

Before you shoot perhaps it would help to do research. Look at things like the Manet, for example. Really good stuff always has pedigree.

edited December 13, 2007
    ... And just another thought. This (potential) image begs for much more intimate treatment. Your camera is too detached. Put your camera where Angels fear to tread!!!!

edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    ... And just another thought. This (potential) image begs for much more intimate treatment. Your camera is too detached. Put your camera where Angels fear to tread!!!!
    Thank for all your c/c, NeiL, and everyone else too!
    Giselle
    edited December 13, 2007
    NeilL wrote:
    I didn't comment on the photograph because I would have needed to say more than I like it or I don't. I don't think it works and I think it is not flattering to the subject. To say just that would be to say nothing much. To say more than that here would not be appropriate, that is my understanding. But for Giselle to have more comment might be valuable. My suggestion to her was meant to be constructive. I think if she placed it in the Whipping Post forum she would receive frank but supportive, careful and skilled comments as are typically to be found there, sometimes with a dash of mischievous humor.

I know nothing about the subject in a personal sense. Giselle describes her as a drag queen. A drag queen is an entertainer, by definition. It is a public persona, not a private life. A drag queen is a potent political/social/moral stance, which exists to arouse responses. The drag queen's normal fare is caricature, hyperbole, irony, innuendo, bawdy, pathos. It was in that spirit that I wrote as I did.

Thank you for taking time to respond in this manner. I'm glad you've demonstated an understanding of a drag queen being an entertainer.

My earlier response was directed to what appeared to be your veiled joke equating his choice of performance / persona genre with "whipping" as in "S&M" sexual deviance.

I'm glad we can agree one has nothing to do with the other. thumb.gif