Anyone know about x-ray photography?

tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited February 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I have seen some pretty cool x-ray photos of flowers. But, I don't know how it is done. Is it as simple as taking an actual x-ray of something ,and then taking a photo of the x-ray? Or is it done differently. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
----Ruth Ann Schubacker

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    I have seen some pretty cool x-ray photos of flowers. But, I don't know how it is done. Is it as simple as taking an actual x-ray of something ,and then taking a photo of the x-ray? Or is it done differently. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds interesting, have you got an example to show us tlee ???
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    tlee wrote:

Try this site [SIZE=-1]www.xray-art.com it will show you pic. of xray as fine art.
    azzaro
    [/SIZE]
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    I did this years ago.
    There are a couple of technical issues to consider if you use actual film rather than digital sensors (which require quite a technological support system)

1) Use films made for dental x-rays. They are individually wrapped and thus can be handled in daylight then developed in fairly standard developer. They are also very fine-grained and will make great negatives.

2) Use dental x-ray machines. These machines are small, flexible and easily managed with the very short exposure times that you will need. Flowers present virtually no resistance to x-rays so you will need the lowest power source available.

I might be able to answer other questions you may have.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Azzaro wrote:
    Try this site [SIZE=-1]www.xray-art.com it will show you pic. of xray as fine art.
    azzaro
    [/SIZE]

Thank you--I have already seen this site--I really like the simpleness of this artist's images.

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited December 12, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Sounds interesting, have you got an example to show us tlee ???
    .... Skippy :D
    Here are some images from www.xray-art.com

231686018-L.jpg

231686040-L.jpg

231686062-L.jpg

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited December 12, 2007
    LittleLew wrote:
    I did this years ago.
    There are a couple of technical issues to consider if you use actual film rather than digital sensors (which require quite a technological support system)

1) Use films made for dental x-rays. They are individually wrapped and thus can be handled in daylight then developed in fairly standard developer. They are also very fine-grained and will make great negatives.

2) Use dental x-ray machines. These machines are small, flexible and easily managed with the very short exposure times that you will need. Flowers present virtually no resistance to x-rays so you will need the lowest power source available.

I might be able to answer other questions you may have.

This might be more complicated than I thought--however, I REALLY like this type of image --so, I may just have to explore it some more--I'll PM you if I have more questions. Thanks for your help, and maybe future help.

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • xrayelderxrayelder Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2009
    tlee wrote:

Different folk have diferent ideas on this. For my part, I start with the original x-ray negative, take a contact print onto a photopaper with the qualities you want to encourage, then process print in darkroom.
    Scan print to obtain digital file, then manipulate the image, add colour, invert it, or ???. I hear about folk using a dental x-ray machine. I would suggest this is entirely unsuitable, and potentially harmful if not used in a controlled environment. Radiological safety considerations are paramount with any x-ray exposure. There is some more background info on my website www.xrayartdesign.co.uk