Options

lightroom: sharpen before applying presets?

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited December 13, 2007 in Finishing School
question regarding "lightroom workflow" for sharpening and using presets. I often like to use lightroom presets and was wondering if I Am correct to think that I should first sharpen photos in develop before applying a preset?

thanks

Dave

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    question regarding "lightroom workflow" for sharpening and using presets. I often like to use lightroom presets and was wondering if I Am correct to think that I should first sharpen photos in develop before applying a preset?

Sharpening (capture sharpening in Develop) are part of the presets. That is, the settings in presets found in the preset pane (left) are all the settings to the right, including sharpening. You can of course modify them as you so desire.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Doesn't really matter. After all you haven't touched the image data until you export the file, then LR applies all the adjustments at once as it builds a pixel rendered image.

Anything done in LR is non destructive, meaning you can do whatever you want, as much as you want, and it won't degrade the integrity of the original image. The only way to mess up an image in LR is to adjust an image, export it, then re-import it and adjust it some more. That will start to degrade your image. Thankfully there's no reason to do that, because if you later decide to change something you've exported you can just go back to the original and export a newer version.

HTH,
    -=Tim=-