At night from a rooftop in LA

gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited December 17, 2007 in People
Here's some pics of my friend I shot last night from an apartment rooftop in LA. We tried a few different lighting setups, I think they turned out pretty well. I'd love any C&C if you've got it! You can check out the whole gallery here. Thanks for looking!

These four were shot with two flashes on stands fired by pocket wizards - one from behind, and the other camera left. On the ones with softer lighting on her face (2 & 4)I bounced the flash off a large wall.

I shot these at ISO1000, mostly at f2.8 with a shutter speed between .5 and 1/6 second. Cameras was on a tripod, and I used a cable release.

231968045-L.jpg

231968503-L.jpg

231966478-L.jpg

231968127-L.jpg
There's a thin line between genius and stupid.

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 13, 2007
    I like #1 very much.

Some might criticize the overly bright facial skin tone but I see it as a creative hi-key approach. I can see this as an ad for H&M.

I might soften some of the brighter, streaked, background lights which are a little distracting.

thumb.gif

• Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Love #1 very well done!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    I love them all, the lighting is so effective even thought it looks like you tried different things, they all worked! I think #2 is amazing.

I do like the flare effect in #3, would you mind describing the setup? It's tricky to get that look IMO.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback!

Angelo - that's a good idea to tone down the more distracting lights in the background. That'll be a good photoshop exercise for me. Thanks. I also like the "high-key" face in this one. I wish I had done a few more like that before I turned the flash power down...

Urbanaries - So glad you like them! I always love the stuff you post, impressing you a little bit gives me warm fuzzies. :) As far as the flare effect in #3, I can tell you what I did, but I won't for a second pretend I knew exactly how the flare would look. Usually when I want a flare, I put a light on, snap away, and hope for the best... In this shot, I had a bare Vivtar285HV flash on a low tripod (about 1 foot off the ground) to the model's right, and behind her by about 5 feet. It was pointing up towards her head. Another flash camera left was pointing at the model from the side, a little in front. In this shot I had the rear flash out of frame, and this is the result. In other shots, I'd have the flash in the frame and get a starburst effect. Most of the time I had it hidden behind her.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.