St Govans (6 images)

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited December 17, 2007 in Landscapes
On a recent trip to Wales we visited St Govans Chapel, built into and from the rocks of the rugged Pembrokshire coastline. It was originally built by a hermit monk in the sixth century, then refurbed in the 13th, looks like the 21st century decorators have been in too :rolleyes

232010379-L.jpg

232009834-L.jpg

232011506-L.jpg

232015319-L.jpg

232012061-L.jpg

232019229-L.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Gubbs, what a beautiful place! I love the remote location and how you can see the raw wildness in the stone and the water. I love the choices of b/w and color here. Was this place as deserted as it looks?
  • squidddsquiddd Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    I like #2, #3, and #5. Especially #2, both color tone and composition are great clap.gif
    Welcome to my small landscape gallery:
    http://squiddd.smugmug.com/Landscapes
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    I think the 3rd and the last shots are my fav's. What a spooky looking place.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    "jesus" what a pleasent series of pics!..Nice atmosphere and gr8 pictures if you see to the technical part of it.

clap.gif
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Gubbs, what a beautiful place! I love the remote location and how you can see the raw wildness in the stone and the water. I love the choices of b/w and color here. Was this place as deserted as it looks?

Thanks Schmoo, I went down the first time in mid afternoon on a hot sunny day and there were probably half a dozen people round the chapel (i did a bit of cloning on the first shot mwink.gif) but if you go at the ends of the day you just get the odd dogwalker and the occasional climber... Beautiful place, I love it down there!

Thanks for the comments, Much apreciated!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    gubbs wrote:
    On a recent trip to Wales we visited St Govans Chapel, built into and from the rocks of the rugged Pembrokshire coastline. It was originally built by a hermit monk in the sixth century, then refurbed in the 13th, looks like the 21st century decorators have been in too rolleyes1.gif

Gubbs these are awesome clap.gif
    How nicely do those walls blend into the cliff face.

The coastline looks pretty wicked, bet a Tall Ship or two went down in those waters.

Great series Gubbs, my favourite is the second last shot of the
    coastline B&W thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Gubbs these are awesome clap.gif
    How nicely do those walls blend into the cliff face.

The coastline looks pretty wicked, bet a Tall Ship or two went down in those waters.

Great series Gubbs, my favourite is the second last shot of the
    coastline B&W thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skip, I don't know about the tall ships but I almost ended up in the water a couple of thimes clambering over the rocks eek7.gif
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007