Why does the 'home' link contain an ad?

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited December 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Well, technically it's just a referrer code I guess, but it's still annoying, and it's not just me, right Chuck?

The link looks like this:

http://www.smugmug.com/?adtype=smugmug&adname=freetrial&addays=30

Even when I use a bit of [post=683026]Javascript[/post] to replace www with my site name, I get:

http://gladlee.smugmug.com/?adtype=smugmug&adname=freetrial&addays=30

Check it out on http://gladlee.smugmug.com/ and any of the gallery pages. Andy said he didn't see it on his machines. I dunno, I'm seeing it now on a Mac running Safari 2.0.4. And I saw it on an XP box running Firefox as well: http://gladlee.smugmug.com/gallery/3672977

I've tried replacing that whole ugly string, but apparently it gets added on after the fact. What's up with that?

--Darryl

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    What do you mean by the "home link"? I don't know where to look in your page.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    What do you mean by the "home link"? I don't know where to look in your page.
    He's referring to the "home" link in the standard Smugmug header. The one
    that almost everyone that customizes their site hides.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 14, 2007
    Weird. That was an old extension we added to links for Adwords. Thanks for pointing this out, Darryl.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Strictly speaking, chuckinsocal pointed it out first in this thread, but the thread seems to have passed by the smugsourcerers, while the helpdesk though that it was due to his Javascript.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    Strictly speaking, chuckinsocal pointed it out first in this thread, but the thread seems to have passed by the smugsourcerers, while the helpdesk though that it was due to his Javascript.
    We don't "pass" on anything. We read it all. Can't possibly reply to every posting on Dgrin :D We do answer each and every email at the help desk - and sure - even our Support Heroes are fallible!

I'm glad Darryl, Chuck, and you have pushed this one to the top again. I was the one who tossed this to Sheaf, then he brought it up internally this morning, and we have a course of action now.

Thanks!
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:

Strictly speaking, I first brought it up [post=659977]two months ago[/post], in an admittedly badly titled thread. At any rate, that's where Andy asked for more details, and I provided them (including those screenshots), but then the thread died, and I didn't bother to follow up with an official support request.

But I do appreciate you all looking into it now. Thanks.
    edited December 14, 2007
    darryl wrote:
    Strictly speaking, I first brought it up [post=659977]two months ago[/post], in an admittedly badly titled thread. At any rate, that's where Andy asked for more details, and I provided them (including those screenshots), but then the thread died, and I didn't bother to follow up with an official support request.

But I do appreciate you all looking into it now. Thanks.
    Yeah, truth is, I didn't understand it fully before, and so bringing it up again is all good thumb.gif
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    People who are not seeing it may not be on a gallery page as that is the only page I've seen it on so far.

It's nice to know they are working on it. I'm far from being an expert, or even very knowledgable, but it seems like all they have to do is modify some html.

I patiently await their fix.

Chuck Cannova
    http://chuckinsocal.smugmug.com
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
    edited December 14, 2007
    I patiently await their fix.

Shouldn't be long, we hope thumb.gif
    edited December 17, 2007
    This is fixed! Thanks all for your patience :)