hs b-ball

dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
edited December 15, 2007 in Sports
d300 -iso 1250 on most -1/400-1/500- 50mm 1.8

and the only light that was not working in the gym was right over the hoop:dunno :rofl
cc welcome ...

231805839-L-2.jpg

232124282-L-3.jpg

232137313-L-3.jpg

i love this one
232145616-XL-3.jpg
**If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
Dave

Comments

• PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Great job at capturing the action... You may want to shoot at f2.0 though 1/400-1/500 (manual) meter for the faces...

And do not be afraid of boosting the ISO a bit, after all that is where those nikons are excelling right now clap.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Nice shots; lots of good action.

I'm shooting two games tonight and I hope I can get similar results.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    You've done a really good job with tough lights. If you look at the wall on the first shot you can see the cycling of the lights. The light on the left is greenish, and the light shining on the wall to the right has the red tinge.

Action is very good, nice timing on these. Its up to you but you could do a slight color correction to get rid of some the casting from those lights, I did a quick correction in PS using channel mixer and the skin tone becomes a bit more natural.

Very nicely done.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Dave,

Great action, good job on the WB also.

Keep up the good work thumb.gif
    Randy
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    These are great shots!

Since you're using a 50/1.8, I hope you don't mind my asking--but I'm having real focus issues with mine (on a 30D, using AI servo). Seems like I'm getting only about 25% with decent focus on the subject. I'm using only the center focus spot. For example, I was at the end line looking up the court with a player bringing the ball straight up court at me. I shot a series of shots but several were OOF. I was using the slow FPS setting--not the high setting.

I was trying some higher apertures (up to about 2.5) to see if an increase in DOF might help--didn't seem to do too much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote:
    These are great shots!

Since you're using a 50/1.8, I hope you don't mind my asking--but I'm having real focus issues with mine (on a 30D, using AI servo). Seems like I'm getting only about 25% with decent focus on the subject. I'm using only the center focus spot. For example, I was at the end line looking up the court with a player bringing the ball straight up court at me. I shot a series of shots but several were OOF. I was using the slow FPS setting--not the high setting.

I was trying some higher apertures (up to about 2.5) to see if an increase in DOF might help--didn't seem to do too much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

well.. I'l be the first to admit that I'm probably the last one you should askrolleyes1.gif
    first off , with the 50mm , I think that even shooting the free throw line was stretching it. stuff under the basket was much better.
    I had the d300 set at 9 point dynamic area, the normal lock on focusing,
    I did shoot some of the second half at f2.0 1600iso 1/500 to see how it was.
    maybe the thing that I really tried to do most was have my focus point on their face. the camera was flipped on it's side & I moved the focus point to a higher side area so it would hopfully hit the face.
    now I also USM quite a bit on these in lab mode under " lightness" . I'm only selling 4x6 photos so they are fine.
    ne_nau.gif I hope this helps some.
    Dave
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    You've done a really good job with tough lights. If you look at the wall on the first shot you can see the cycling of the lights. The light on the left is greenish, and the light shining on the wall to the right has the red tinge.

Action is very good, nice timing on these. Its up to you but you could do a slight color correction to get rid of some the casting from those lights, I did a quick correction in PS using channel mixer and the skin tone becomes a bit more natural.

Very nicely done.
    thanks...i try to do some but alot of time I still don't get it right
    Dave
    edited December 15, 2007
    Great job at capturing the action... You may want to shoot at f2.0 though 1/400-1/500 (manual) meter for the faces...

And do not be afraid of boosting the ISO a bit, after all that is where those nikons are excelling right now clap.gif
    thanks ...I did try the 1600 iso late in the second half.
    Dave
    edited December 15, 2007
    KMCC wrote:
    Nice shots; lots of good action.

I'm shooting two games tonight and I hope I can get similar results.

thanks ...hope you got some great shots
    Dave
    edited December 15, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    Dave,

Great action, good job on the WB also.

Keep up the good work thumb.gif

thanks
    Dave