Options

tripod legs for Really Right Stuff BH 40 Head

ZmomZmom Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited January 23, 2008 in Accessories
I'd like some recommendations for tripod legs for a new tripod setup I'm considering purchasing.

I have a D70 with the 18-70mm DX and 55-200 DX kit lenses. My dream lens (which I believe I have to earn by taking better pictures with what I have, and I'd better hurry since it is getting more expensive), is the 70-200mm AF-S VR 2.8.

My tripods are the one my dad gave me when I graduated from college, along with my first camera (ok - 20 years ago!), and a SLIK U8000 , about $40, which I bought a few years ago without really knowing what I was doing.

Most of the time I take social pictures (parties, outings, family get-togethers, night shots) but occasionally I take nature/outdoor photos (want to do more of that thus the dream lens). At a recent family gathering in Florida, did some beach photos and found another experience of frustrating tripod and blurry images (it was very windy, I was using remote control so I could be in the shot, unruly crowd!, no time to fiddle with the pan-tilt head and get the adjustments correct, tripod unstable on sand, camera kept drooping on head, everybody was singing) and decided I need a better support system.

I've also done a bit of close-up photography (shells, coins) so would like to be able to shoot straight down.

Have scanned the forums and read the obligatory article byThom and believe I'd like the Really Right Stuff BH-40 ball head with the lever quick release B2-40LR. I'll get the L bracket for the D70.

If I was even richer I'd get the Gitzmo 2530 or 2540 and be done with it - but the set-up is already $375 without the L-bracket! and I'm not sure about 3 sections vs 4 sections, aluminum vs carbon fiber, center post or no center post. Forum experts also like the Bogen-Manfrotto 3021PRO.

I'm not doing much hiking so weight is not an issue now, but I do take the tripod traveling, usually in checked bags. (It's only fairly recently that I started taking the tripod along on a regular basis which is why I've started seeing its shortcomings). I'm 5'5" - I think I'd like a center column just for the ease of height adjustment, and most of the legs are tall enough so I wouldn't have it extended much.

Please share some thoughts about tripod legs for what I've described, and let me know what you think about the setup in general.

Basically, I'd rather spend more now and not have to buy again later - but let's not be crazy!

Thanks.
Zmom

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Hmmm...decisions.
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion - I found this review.

Seems to meet the requirements - though I sense SLIK products aren't as popular on the forums as Gitzo, Bogen/Manfrotto, etc. Is this due to performance issues, or just you get what you pay for?
    Zmom
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    In general SLIK is not the top brand that Gitzo is.

I had a Manfrotto and disliked it.

I've been on several workshops/shootouts with Marc Muench and a lot of other shooters. Not being happy with my previous tripod I watched all the others, and there was no tripod I liked more than this SLIK. This is the tripod that Marc shoots with. Sure, the Gitzo would be nice, just as nice, but its a lot more $$. I think because of SLIK's overall reputation this tripod gets overlooked. But it's a good 'un.

You will need to get a reducer bushing to put the BH-40 on this thing, as the BH-40 has a 3/8" mount, and the SLIK is 1/4". You can get the reducer from RRS.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    I have a BH-40 mounted on Manfrotto MF055-3 and am very happy with the combination. The MF055 has a clever center column that can be removed altogether to save weight and can also mount horizontally, which is useful in shooting down or doing closeups. I think it goes for around $300 these days.

Regards,
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    I am getting ready to order the tripod reviewed here on dgrin:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1114516

It looks perfect for travel, doesn't break the bank. I will use the savings to get the RSS or ACRA head.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    As soon as I saw the shot straight down part the 3021Pro came to mind. I don't own one but I've always considered maybe picking one up just because of that specific feature.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Bogen/Man 055MF3, Slik Pro 883 CF-D, or Gitzo 2530
    Thank you for all your comments. I attached (I think) a summary of the specs of the three - as before, if money weren't any concern, I'd go with the Gitzo 2530. After I've agonized over this (for a short time, compared to some others!) I'm almost ready to go crazy and get the gitzo.

Any comments on the final three?
    Zmom
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Yeah, I would think that the SLIK would win on the max. height WITHOUT the center column extended. A nice plus, IMO. Center column extension is rickety on longer extensions. Not necessarily a plus to have a long extender. And, think about how many pounds you really need to support. I won't be carrying 26 lbs. of gear anywhere, myself, although having it overbuilt for you needs could be nice.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    A couple other options: Feisol and Giottos. The Feisol is a popular alternative to the typical Gitzo/Manfrotto choices. The Giottos is a relative newcomer to the forums & I took a chance on one after playing with a demo. I'm happy with mine so far; I have the MT7261 and don't need to extend the center column.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    have to test hands on
    A couple other options: Feisol and Giottos. The Feisol is a popular alternative to the typical Gitzo/Manfrotto choices. The Giottos is a relative newcomer to the forums & I took a chance on one after playing with a demo. I'm happy with mine so far; I have the MT7261 and don't need to extend the center column.

Thank you all for your replies - I've decided to trek post holiday up to B&H or Adorama and try hands on - I still think that the BH-40 head is the way to go, but the field of tripod leg options keeps expanding.

I started thinking a bit more about the macro work - since it's coins and shells so far I just need to shoot straight at the floor (I don't mount anything) - with a ball head and a L-bracket, as long as the lens isn't too big, it seems to me I should be able to do this without having to resort to the tremendous flexibility of something like the Gitzo Explorer or the boom arm of the Bogen-Manfrotto.

Anyway - have to try hands on.

Keep the comments coming - don't want to overlook something important!
    Zmom
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Velbon Sherpa Carbon Fibre 630. A real bargin build
    to last like a Gitzo but 1/3rd the price. I'm using mine
    since two years, no serious wear until now. It comes
    with legwraps, detachable centercolumn and hook for
    underneath the colum. Weight is close to 1.2 kg extends
    to eye level without center column but with tripodhead
    (I'm 6"11).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2007
    Zmom wrote:
    Thank you all for your replies - I've decided to trek post holiday up to B&H or Adorama and try hands on - I still think that the BH-40 head is the way to go, but the field of tripod leg options keeps expanding.

I started thinking a bit more about the macro work - since it's coins and shells so far I just need to shoot straight at the floor (I don't mount anything) - with a ball head and a L-bracket, as long as the lens isn't too big, it seems to me I should be able to do this without having to resort to the tremendous flexibility of something like the Gitzo Explorer or the boom arm of the Bogen-Manfrotto.

Anyway - have to try hands on.

Keep the comments coming - don't want to overlook something important!

For the macro work, if you can see a Giottos x3xx legset, it might be a nice alternative. These have a rotating column mount allowing for the sideways setup like some Manfrottos. I didn't go for one of those as I'm not doing any macro (yet).
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Giottos MT-8180
    I have the Giottos MT-8180 Carbon Fiber Tripod. I am very impressed with both its build and its relative light weight; considering that it is a VERY stable tripod and is tall enough for me (6'1") to use without stooping. I have not put this tripod through all of its possible contortions yet but, it seems capable of placing the camera just about any place that I want it.

I use a Manfrotto 3421 "U" shaped gimbal head for action shooting and can easily follow a hydroplane going at 150+ MPH not too far away from the camera.

I also put a Manfrotto 488RC2 head on the Giottos but, I plan on replacing that head with either a Giottos MH-1300 657 or a Really Right Stuff BH-40 head. The RRS BH-40 is great but, I shudder at spending $400 or so for a tripod head. The Giottos is less expensive at $150 and also includes a camera mounting plate which is extra with the RRS BH-40.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Remember, the pain only lasts when you're paying for it. The joy of use lasts the rest of hte time it's in your posession. :D (not much help, am I?)
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    I doubt if I will be much help either...
    I had a smaller Giottos head and while it worked fine when I bought a Sigma 80-400 OS zoom I knew I needed something bigger and stronger. I opted for the RRS BH-40 and it was a revelation. The thing is just marvelous. Ease of use, stability, it has it all.

See I told you I wouldn't be much help.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown