Great photos !!
Mike Werner
Paris, France

http://news.motorbiker.org/

Comments

• Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    Is there something like that flash soft-box for on-camera flash? I truly HATE the results with them!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Is there something like that flash soft-box for on-camera flash? I truly HATE the results with them!
    That thing is hilariously huge! :lol

product_shot.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    I thought that's what she said? mwink.gif

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! So, for onboard flash, is there something like a softbox?
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    is there something like a softbox?
    Nope...there's nothing like a softbox. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    Well, I've already tried my finger, and I can assure you that, unequivocally, it does NOT WORK. Do not try the "covering the flash with your finger" trick!

Pfff!!!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 19, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Nope...there's nothing like a softbox. :D
    eek7.gif I WILL assume you are resticting your discourse to photgraphy and if that is the case I will I have to disagree - try a Stofen adapter for your flash
    omni.jpg Look for them at B&H or http://www.stofen.com/Products/Index.html At the Blog site that was listed earlier there was a comparison with a Stofen and a softbox type adapter for on camera flash - the writer favored the Stofen and so do I. I almost never use my flash without it indoors - Outdoors I sometimes omit it to gain further flash throw since it does diffuse and hence knock down the light some what. I carry a Stofen for my 550EX and my 420EX in my pack one fits inside the other.

Even cheaper is simply taping a 3x5 card to to back of the flash along the top of the flash head to act as a reflector with the flash in bounce flash mode - this works well too, but is not as diffuse as the Stofen is.

This folowing image is an impromptu snapshot taken at a family Christmas get-to-gether with no light but an on-Camera 550EX with a Stofen diffuser - how is this for a on-camera flash picture?

2274112-L.jpg

Sorry Fish!Laughing.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    Pretty sweet, if ya ask me. mwink.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    eek7.gif I WILL assume you are resticting your discourse to photgraphy
    That would be a bad assumption. mwink.gif

Yeah, I have the stofen, and it rocks. i can't imagine carrying around a tent for my flash. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    Seamaiden, to actually answer your question umph.gif I haven't seen anything that will soften the harshness of a built-in flash. The best I can suggest is papering over the flash. If you're game, you could try a paper towel, or paper napkin. You'll have to experiment with the thickness to see what what works best. Remember, the amount of light you need changes as your subject gets closer to or further away from your camera. I've done the paper napkin thing in the past, with passable results. It's about the only solution I can think of to help.

Does your camera have a manual white balance setting? If so, you might also try adjusting that for the non-flash shots. It might help.

When shooting non-flash, I assume you have the aperature all the way open (smallest f-stop number)? In addition to setting the fastest ISO that you can, you'll have to experiment with shutter speed. Slower shutter speeds = more light coming in. But there's a downside, of course - if anyone dares move, they'll be blurry. By the way, that includes you, too. That's why a tripod is sometimes an indespensible piece of equipment.

I got this one of Charlie on Thursday night, in normal room lighting, with the use of a tripod. I should have white balanced, but I get lazy and forget.

1/8 second shutter speed, aperture f2.2, dunno what the ISO was.

2940321-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    A few weeks ago I read reviews of the camera mounted soft boxes, reflectors and Stofen boxes.

Bottom line: none work really well. The softboxes don't really diffuse the light very much, according to the reviewer. And the larger ones are too heavy for the flash head to stay erect. I have the Sto-Fen on a 420EX, and I agree with the reviewer. You still have to bounce the light off of a ceiling or wall. You cannot shoot directly with it, and expect good results. If you don't have a relatively low, neutral colored ceiling or a wall, you're out of luck. Odd colors will put a color cast on your shot, and distant ceilings or walls won't reflect usable light.

I learned two things. First, a small light source is a small light source, and will tend to give harsh lighting unless it's bounced. Second, there are no magic bullets for good lighting.

Anyone who's a noob like me, and who hasn't seen this series of short videos about lighting, might find them as educational as I did.
    This link starts the first video.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    ..head to stay erect.

Oh.. I.. well.. my, MY!

<sm gets to dialing up the beau>
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I wonder why the ISO doesn't show up in your EXIF data...or more precisely, why smugmug doesn't display it. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    I think I had it on auto. When it's on auto, it doesn't display the ISO.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I think I had it on auto. When it's on auto, it doesn't display the ISO.
    Ah...interesting. It does on my 10D in auto, but not on the S400.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Seamaiden, to actually answer your question umph.gif I haven't seen anything that will soften the harshness of a built-in flash. The best I can suggest is papering over the flash. If you're game, you could try a paper towel, or paper napkin. You'll have to experiment with the thickness to see what what works best. Remember, the amount of light you need changes as your subject gets closer to or further away from your camera. I've done the paper napkin thing in the past, with passable results. It's about the only solution I can think of to help.

Does your camera have a manual white balance setting? If so, you might also try adjusting that for the non-flash shots. It might help.

When shooting non-flash, I assume you have the aperature all the way open (smallest f-stop number)? In addition to setting the fastest ISO that you can, you'll have to experiment with shutter speed. Slower shutter speeds = more light coming in. But there's a downside, of course - if anyone dares move, they'll be blurry. By the way, that includes you, too. That's why a tripod is sometimes an indespensible piece of equipment.

I got this one of Charlie on Thursday night, in normal room lighting, with the use of a tripod. I should have white balanced, but I get lazy and forget.

2940321-M.jpg
    Interesting comments on the flash situation.... I can't wait to try some different fabrics over the built ins..
    Very nice shot Sid, no flash right???
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2004
    Si, no flash. Just grinder sparks. :D
    Sid.