old flour mill

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited March 2, 2008 in Landscapes

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    This place is at the end of my street. Build in 1930 & put to rest in 2002. They are about to turn it into a massive residential/shopping complex so i needed to get some photos before its gone.
    That said i have to hand it to the developers with keeping the site for what it is with home units to be built up inside the silos.
    More photographs to come tomorrow... this was my first trial at doing 'schmootography'.
    I liked how the billboard now names the current residents.
    oh look...that boards missing over there.
    I love old wood but i made a point of touching nothing as you never know if you will disturb asbestos fibres.
    Deep inside under the silos.
    Morning sun breaking through.
    Man .. i recon a bloke would need to be doing 2 jobs just to afford the bloody spray can bill !!

You don't need two jobs to be a Graffiti Artist Gus,
    the good ole Ozzie Tax Payers are paying for it.

They sure were busy inside and outside the Mill weren't they eek7.gif

Your first attempt at SchmooTography went very well.
    Were you using your 10-22mm??

Love those inside shots thumb.gif nice work Gus ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    pretty neat seeing inside that place. the graffitti is also much nicer and more coherent than one would think. some artists definitely spent some time creating a few of those full wall murals.

good stuff thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Gus!! rolleyes1.gif

It's been a secret desire of mine to see your take on this kind of stuff. I finally got my wish and wow I had nothing to do with it. mwink.gif

Did you take your tripod or were these magically handheld? I love the graffiti there. I thought SF had great tags but I see Oz is up there, too.

Some people (like myself) get weird canted angles because we either haven't had our V8 or because the subject won't fit in the shot the conventional way. I don't know what your reasons are but I love it because you make it look as though the building is growing out of the frame. Not that I'd ever say you were conventional.

The shot under the silos is beautiful. I'd love to get my camera all over this place one day.

thumb.gif
    edited December 15, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I'd love to get my camera all over this place one day.
    You better hurry. nod.gif
    Erik

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Tks guys. Schmoo i had my tripod but it gets in the way in these sort of places i found thus i just laid my camera on the floor/ground & then checked to see what i got. I just sit it down..aim it towards a general area & let the cards fall.

Just did some more so will post them shortly.
    edited December 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You better hurry. nod.gif

yeah like within the next week or 2. Then its all over red rover. $280 million ($250 mill USD) getting pumped into it.
    edited December 15, 2007
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    some great shots gus-
    edited December 15, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    some great shots gus-
    Tks george. Spooky joint to be in at 5am. You really need to concentrait where every foot is being places as the old boards are ready to go & other huge holes have stuff across them that wont take my weight. It would be a bad joint to fall in.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    They do some very colorful tags there. Nice captures Gus. I like the second one from the second shoot (this morning), where you can see the bright spray paint thru the doorway from the room of all wood timbers.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited December 16, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    They do some very colorful tags there. Nice captures Gus. I like the second one from the second shoot (this morning), where you can see the bright spray paint thru the doorway from the room of all wood timbers.
    Tks mate...yeah that shot took some processing i'll tell you. Hard to balance light in these joints.

I actually expected to find some people spraying in there as its such a big place however i do make quite a bit of noise walking over the old boards.
  • JonMikalJonMikal Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    definitely some great work in this post. you have a good eye.

what makes the location more interesting for me is that they left their evidence behind. i like that you included the cans/tops in some of your images.

thumb.gif
    edited December 16, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Tks mate...yeah that shot took some processing i'll tell you. Hard to balance light in these joints.

I actually expected to find some people spraying in there as its such a big place however i do make quite a bit of noise walking over the old boards.

Ya going during bright clear days can be a problem. I tend to have the curse of the rainy day whenever I head out but I've found it makes for slightly less contrast when shooting in dark interiors near open windows.

I'm still really amazed by the artwork your locals have done. Both of you, really great thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    All nice shots. Very interesting. I especially like the one with the abandonded paint can on the hall floor. And wow, your lens takes some sharp pictures!
    Growing with Dgrin

edited December 17, 2007
    Thanks guys. Yeah that copy of the 10-22 came from a board member here..its razor sharp. My first copy of it was a real mess.. seriously dull but i can now see how sharp that lens can be.
  • mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Well done man. You've got a neat little spot just down the road. Lighting in places like this is difficult because you have large spaces with very confined and intense entrances of light. I bet that mill would look great at night too :)

Be careful though, you may have been bitten by the bug. Symptoms include near constant scanning of the horizon for derelict structures, aimless wandering of old railroad tracks and curious uncontrollable desires to find out what lies on the other side of fences.
    edited December 18, 2007
    mANVIL wrote:
    Well done man. You've got a neat little spot just down the road.
    Thanks but $250 million worth of work starts there this week. It will all be lost.
    mANVIL wrote:
    Lighting in places like this is difficult because you have large spaces with very confined and intense entrances of light. I bet that mill would look great at night too :)
    Yeah but not worth going through 3 floors...those floor boards are seriously dangerous in the daytime
  • don corleyonedon corleyone Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2007
    mANVIL wrote:

Be careful though, you may have been bitten by the bug. Symptoms include near constant scanning of the horizon for derelict structures, aimless wandering of old railroad tracks and curious uncontrollable desires to find out what lies on the other side of fences.

very true!

good stuff there! lots of awesome colors. i'm diggin it.
    edited December 18, 2007
    very true!

You made it!!!!!

wings.gif

Sorry for the hijack gus. But I'm glad to hear that you're playing it safe.
    edited December 18, 2007
    very true!

Tks don.
    edited March 2, 2008
    Well they said it would be hit in the start of '08 !

The silos & main brick building are staying for offices & residential. I have to respect its now a building site so i kept out.

260837699_9NDDs-L.jpg

260836390_3sBgq-L.jpg

260837265_z9HRr-L.jpg

I messed with it a bit..no idea why or where i ended up.

260836792_KArzi-L.jpg
    edited March 2, 2008
    down it goes. noisy?
    Erik

edited March 2, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    down it goes. noisy?
    Really its just the tin & timber frame work coming down & i can hear that a bit but they only do that in my work hours so its been rather quiet for the hour after i get home. The silos & brick building stay.
    edited March 2, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Really its just the tin & timber frame work coming down & i can hear that a bit but they only do that in my work hours so its been rather quiet for the hour after i get home. The silos & brick building stay.
    just drove by on the way back from the airport. sure looks different, even from the ICB nod.gif
    Erik