New Business

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited December 27, 2007 in Landscapes
in our street they have started some work i think they purchase old used papers etc.

232494205-XL.jpg

Ok i am having svere problems with 400D and mkII. i shot 10 shots in a row of these people in all photos wall was focused and these guys were out of focus
this photos is little reasonable but still wall is more sharper then face:scratch
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    I don't know about the 400D, but in the detailed photo review on my 30D you can see the actual focus point that was used in that image. Maybe you've accidentally selected one of the top focus points? what focus mode do you use? lots more info we need before we can help you.
    ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Thanks Doc for reply here are details

i always select center focus point
    i never use all points automatic select
    AF mode is "One Shot"

No problem at closer distances
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    hi awais!

i dont know excactly what happened but i do know that my 400D really likes good contrasts to focus on. perhaps the big contrasts of the brick and mortar on the wall behind the people made the camera focus there. when focussing it helps to find points with high contrasting lines such as a white/black portion instead of focussing on a blackish spot.

hopefully this is your problem because i wouldnt want for you to have a camera problem. iloveyou.gif

greets chris
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    Thanks Doc for reply here are details

i always select center focus point
    i never use all points automatic select
    AF mode is "One Shot"

No problem at closer distances
    Hmm, well in that case I'm stumped. I do agree with Chris, Canon's 50mm lenses (even my 1.4), while very sharp and with great color rendition, are not the fastest or best to focus.

If you can truly show it as consistent, and just with that lens, perhaps there is an issue, but I would be very surprised.

BTW, the shot is still great - I always like your color and contrast nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2007
    Awais,

While the 50 f/1.8 is know to be quite sharp, it's not known for accurate focusing. It might be worth your time to perform a focus test. This link is a good place to start for information on how to attempt this... (link).

Another thought. As has been metioned above, the camera focus points like to be over areas of contrast - the more contrast the better. A quick inspection of the photo (which I really like) seems to indicate that the center focus point might have been over the middle gentleman's facial hair - not a lot of contrast there.
    edited December 16, 2007
    Thanks Chris Erik and Scott will check it
    i love this lens a lot mwink.gif

My Gallery
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    in our street they have started some work i think they purchase old used papers etc.

232494205-Th.jpg

Ok i am having svere problems with 400D and mkII. i shot 10 shots in a row of these people in all photos wall was focused and these guys were out of focus
    this photos is little reasonable but still wall is more sharper then faceheadscratch.gif

Great shot all the same thumb.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Awais,

While the 50 f/1.8 is know to be quite sharp, it's not known for accurate focusing. It might be worth your time to perform a focus test. This link is a good place to start for information on how to attempt this... (link).

Another thought. As has been metioned above, the camera focus points like to be over areas of contrast - the more contrast the better. A quick inspection of the photo (which I really like) seems to indicate that the center focus point might have been over the middle gentleman's facial hair - not a lot of contrast there.

A beautiful shot Awais! I agree with Scott that this lens is not very accurate in focusing. It is very slow, and 'searches' if there is not a lot of contrast in the scene to lock onto. It apppears (to me) that the center focus would have landed on the white shirt near the neck opening...there is some contrast there for it to "lock" onto. Since the gentlemen are leaning forward, it may be their faces are not on the same focal plane and thus fell out of focus??? Just a guess. You will have to practice alot with this lens to get the focus to cooperate. When it's on target, it's takes great shots and certainly is a good value if you have the patience to work with it. :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Awais, I love this photo despite any technical difficulties you may have had with it. The posture of the two men and the slightly different pose and expression on the third tells a great story. A couch just in the street is also something that makes me look twice. I always love seeing scenes from your country! thumb.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Awais...that photo holds its ground all by itself. Its that good in my opinion. You are going to be a busy man now that you have a DSLR & i expect to see much more from you like this. I love the darkness of the photo.

Can you post an unprocessed photo that you feel you are not happy with & also the EXIF so we can see if we can assist you.
    edited December 17, 2007
    :D Thanks all
    just waiting to get free from finals then i won't tolerate 400D :D

Link to larger un touched picture

My Gallery
  • crease_upcrease_up Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    how do you process your shots?
    Hi Awais,

I love the shot. I especially like the colour and contrast that you are getting when developing (looks like you use it quite frequently from your website).

Can you tell me how you get that look? I've tried to achieve it in PS but can never get it right.

Cheers
    edited December 18, 2007
    crease_up wrote:
    Hi Awais,

I love the shot. I especially like the colour and contrast that you are getting when developing (looks like you use it quite frequently from your website).

Can you tell me how you get that look? I've tried to achieve it in PS but can never get it right.

Cheers

Hello thanks a lot

Well i don't know the proper way but here is how i get this effect i got there by experimenting.

Make copy of the layer and apply Photocopy efffect on Top one and reduce opacity then add channel mixer layer and turn it to BW (50,50) and reduce opacity and some burnning

Opacity amount depends on how intense effect you need.
    i used it on my only few photos

You can download this great free plugin for Photocopy effect
    I hope you can understand headscratch.gif

My Gallery
    edited December 18, 2007
    Hello thanks a lot

Well i don't know the proper way but here is how i get this effect i got there by experimenting.

Make copy of the layer and apply Photocopy efffect on Top one and reduce opacity then add channel mixer layer and turn it to BW (50,50) and reduce opacity and some burnning

Opacity amount depends on how intense effect you need.
    i used it on my only few photos

You can download this great free plugin for Photocopy effect
    I hope you can understand headscratch.gif

Thanks I'll give it a go and let you know what happens
    edited December 20, 2007
    crease_up wrote:
    Thanks I'll give it a go and let you know what happens

Damb!!! I have a Mac and this plugin is for PCs only
    edited December 23, 2007
    crease_up wrote:
    Damb!!! I have a Mac and this plugin is for PCs only

Oh that is Sad
    I feel sorry for Mac users :cry :D

My Gallery
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    great photo - I love the expressions.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Oh that is Sad
    I feel sorry for Mac users :cry :D

Don't be. Mac is better ! :Dclap.gif
    Great photo Aways.iloveyou.gif
    I like the expressions of the fellows and the texture of the wall.

That effect is nice and you know how to do it.
    Health in 2008, Aways ! :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited December 27, 2007
    Don't be. Mac is better ! :Dclap.gif
    Great photo Aways.iloveyou.gif
    I like the expressions of the fellows and the texture of the wall.

That effect is nice and you know how to do it.
    Health in 2008, Aways ! :Dthumb.gif

I never used Mac i have no issue of what is better clap.gifit seems to be better :D

thanks Antonio and Phil sweet 2008 for you and your families iloveyou.gif

My Gallery
  • BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Very cool picture! I haven't used a 400d much, but with my P&S when I can't get it to focus on what I want it to, I either manually focus it or focus it on something (like your wall), lock it on that then take a step back - low tech, but seems to work for me in a pinch.

have funclap.gif
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr