Options

Generic sharpening for prints

BobbyzBobbyz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 15, 2007 in Finishing School
Since I don't know what size my customer willorder what would be a good starting USM (as I only have PS) to apply to my files before uploading to smugmug so they print ok for say 4x6, 8x10, 11x14 etc.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Bobbyz wrote:
    Since I don't know what size my customer willorder what would be a good starting USM (as I only have PS) to apply to my files before uploading to smugmug so they print ok for say 4x6, 8x10, 11x14 etc.

Smugmug always prints from the original that you upload so what you want to do is to make sure the original looks like it has appropriate sharpening. The printing process will then start with that and make any adjustments from there depending upon the size print ordered.

I'm sorry but I don't know how to give generic sharpening advice because I've always found that it varies by camera, by lens and by scene. Even in my own workflow all with the same camera, I apply sharpening by visual taste and find it varies from image to image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    BobbyzBobbyz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2007
    I agree that sharpening varies based on so many things but then since final print size is decided by the client, how do you guys control how much sharpening to apply.

I can use proof delay and replace photo with something sharpened specifically by me for the print size selected by my client. Is that how other folks do?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Bobbyz wrote:
    I agree that sharpening varies based on so many things but then since final print size is decided by the client, how do you guys control how much sharpening to apply.

I can use proof delay and replace photo with something sharpened specifically by me for the print size selected by my client. Is that how other folks do?

I guess I wasn't clear. I sharpen the original at it's original pixel dimensions so that it looks good on screen and rely on the EzPrints printing process to translate that to the proper print size. You can do it individually on each image and each order with proof delay, but I'd be surprised if you could see any difference between what I described and custom sharpening per image size for anything 11x14 or below unless you have a real problem image with not enough pixels.

If you're not convinced, you could order several test prints at different sizes, one run by just sharpening the original at it's original pixel dimensions and one run where you custom sharpen each image for a particular size however you normally do that. I'd be surprised if you could see a difference even when you were looking if you started with a quality original. I'd be even more surprised if a typical client could see any difference.

BTW, what do you do to "sharpen for a particular print size"?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question