Photo info missing, accessing smug on baby computer (ASUS EEE PC 8G)

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
edited December 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I just got a new toy, a baby computer for lightweight wanderings. The display is just 7", and I have to say I'm delighted to be able to access my photos on this little screen as well as to have full access to my galleries (customization, etc.). I was a little surprised that although I have all of my galleries set to show EXIF info - that information is not available from this "computer". The drop-down shows the available sizes but not the photo info selection.

Any ideas?

The device is an ASUS EEE PC 8G, info at http://eeepc.asus.com/us/product.htm

Screen shots of the same photo taken from my little computer and from my normal laptop are below.

From ASUS EEE PC 8G, running Firefox on Linux:

232556463-M.jpg

From my usual laptop, screen shot taken using IE, but Firefox on my laptop shows the EXIF correctly too:

232559318-M.jpg

It's not that big of a deal, but it would be really nice to have access to the EXIF info when I'm wandering with this baby computer.

--- Denise

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Hey Denise, neat looking PC :)

I don't know why. Probably something OS-specific, or Browser-specific... what is the OS, and what is the browser & version?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hey Denise, neat looking PC :)

I don't know why. Probably something OS-specific, or Browser-specific... what is the OS, and what is the browser & version?
    Hmm... Firefox is version 2.0.0.7. I'm so used to Firefox just keeping itself up-to-date that I didn't even think to check if it was the latest version. I just checked the eee forum, and from what I found it appears that this version of Firefox was customized/distributed by asus, and that updates will need to come from them too.

As far as the operating system goes, I can't believe I haven't been able to find anything on the computer that tells me the actual version. It claims the software version is Eee PC 1.0.1. That's not very helpful, is it? I know it is running Xandros, which is a fork of Debian Linux.

--- Denise
    edited December 15, 2007
    I'm guessing it's a linux thing, but I can't be sure. Sorry I'm not much more help :(

You can get the exif from single image pages, still, right?
    edited December 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm guessing it's a linux thing, but I can't be sure. Sorry I'm not much more help :(

You can get the exif from single image pages, still, right?
    Not a problem, I knew it would be more than a long shot for anyone to be familiar with the idiosyncracies of this device (too early in its life...)!

Funny, I totally spaced on looking for the exif in a single image window. I'm so used to pulling that from a smugmug style screen that oops! sorry, I didn't look further. Sorry!

But yes, I can get the exif from the single image page, although in the popup box I can only see the top of the box, the photo + most of the basic details (depending on whether it's a landscape or portrait orientation). That little box doesn't scroll and can't be sized - probably because it is using the full height of the screen. But I can grab the URL for the exif and open it in a new browser window. That one scrolls, so I can get what I was looking for.

Thanks!

--- Denise
    edited December 15, 2007
    Not a problem, I knew it would be more than a long shot for anyone to be familiar with the idiosyncracies of this device (too early in its life...)!

Funny, I totally spaced on looking for the exif in a single image window. I'm so used to pulling that from a smugmug style screen that oops! sorry, I didn't look further. Sorry!

But yes, I can get the exif from the single image page, although in the popup box I can only see the top of the box, the photo + most of the basic details (depending on whether it's a landscape or portrait orientation). That little box doesn't scroll and can't be sized - probably because it is using the full height of the screen. But I can grab the URL for the exif and open it in a new browser window. That one scrolls, so I can get what I was looking for.

Thanks!

--- Denise
    Critique style will also show it right on the page. That should work on your device as well thumb.gif
    edited December 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Critique style will also show it right on the page. That should work on your device as well thumb.gif
    That's perfect!

--- Denise