Options

Photoshop CS3

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited December 15, 2007 in Finishing School
I have just installed Photoshop CS3 and I am finding it so difficult to use it. Can anyone please tell me how I go about importing photos from my computer. I have looked at the Photoshop Help but I am unable to find the route to take. Any help would be more than appreciated.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    I have just installed Photoshop CS3 and I am finding it so difficult to use it. Can anyone please tell me how I go about importing photos from my computer. I have looked at the Photoshop Help but I am unable to find the route to take. Any help would be more than appreciated.
    Regards
    Bob

When I think of importing, I think of adding a bunch of photos to a database or folder. Photoshop is generally used one photo at a time--or a small number if you are combining images. You get a photo into PS by using Open on the file menu, then navigating to the folder on your computer that has the pic in it.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    When I think of importing, I think of adding a bunch of photos to a database or folder. Photoshop is generally used one photo at a time--or a small number if you are combining images. You get a photo into PS by using Open on the file menu, then navigating to the folder on your computer that has the pic in it.

Regards,

Thanks ever so much Richard. That was so helpful. Can you please tell me where I can find the clarity or sharpness tool and contrast etc and where do I click on to export the photo back to My Pictures. I am used with Adobe LightRoom which I found quite easy to use compared with CS3
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Regards
    Bob

PS doesn't 'import' photos in the way you seem to be saying. It does not manage files the way that Lightroom does. One opens a file in its current location, makes changes and then saves the file where one wants.

One can use Bridge (accessible thru File>Browse) to import files from your camera, to move files, to tag them, to find them.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks ever so much Richard. That was so helpful. Can you please tell me where I can find the clarity or sharpness tool and contrast etc and where do I click on to export the photo back to My Pictures. I am used with Adobe LightRoom which I found quite easy to use compared with CS3
    Regards
    Bob
    Hi Bob,
    You can use CTL-E (CMD for mac) from lightroom to edit the photo in ps.

The adjustments are under the Image Menu or better yet, click on the half black, half white circle at the bottom of the layers palette (use Window menu if its not already visible). That will create an adjustment layer.

Good luck. Learning PS is challenging, but well worth the effort.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    aktpics wrote:
    Hi Bob,
    You can use CTL-E (CMD for mac) from lightroom to edit the photo in ps.

The adjustments are under the Image Menu or better yet, click on the half black, half white circle at the bottom of the layers palette (use Window menu if its not already visible). That will create an adjustment layer.

Good luck. Learning PS is challenging, but well worth the effort.

Thanks Alex for the help. I have managed to import a photo into Photoshop and I will have a look at what you have said. I think this is certainly going to be a challenge as I found LightRoom realatively easy.
    Many Thanks
    Bob
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 15, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Alex for the help. I have managed to import a photo into Photoshop and I will have a look at what you have said. I think this is certainly going to be a challenge as I found LightRoom realatively easy.
    Many Thanks
    Bob

Photoshop is a lot more complex than Lightroom, but lets you do stuff that Lightroom can't. Be patient. The good news is that there are tons of books and tutorials available. And remember that Google is your friend when you have specific questions.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Photoshop is a lot more complex than Lightroom, but lets you do stuff that Lightroom can't. Be patient. The good news is that there are tons of books and tutorials available. And remember that Google is your friend when you have specific questions.

Thanks again Richard. I appreciate what you have told me and good advice. As I say I have just installed CS3 and I just couldn't get going at all but now thanks to you and others I am confident I will get there. I would appreciate if you could tell me if and how I can include a watermark from CS3.
    Thanks again
    Bob