Options

Al Jolson and the Goodyear Blimp

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited March 13, 2005 in Holy Macro
What do they have in common, well theres a Flag in each image :D.
Just a couple recent shots that I have been PSing. How does it look to you folks :dunno

Al Jolson Memorial, L. A. actually in Culver City:
17315356-L.jpg

Home of the Goodyear Blimp, Wilmington, Calif. right off the 110 Frwy just north of 405:

17105415-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Ben,

it looks like your going ott on the sharpening, if you look round the edges of the blimp your getting a halo effect.
    Have a look at Shay's sharpening tips here for some guidance to the settings to use
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Ben,

it looks like your going ott on the sharpening, if you look round the edges of the blimp your getting a halo effect.
    Have a look at Shay's sharpening tips here for some guidance to the settings to use

Thanks for the Link
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    bf, I especially like the blimp image. Please correct me if I'm wrong, what I see is layering with a mask. I think I'm seeing a halo around the areas where the mask edges end. In particular I can see it around the columns and trees in the first shot, and the underbelly of the blimp in the second image. Masking like that is tricky and time consuming, if in fact that's what's going on. You really have to zoom in to the pixel level, I find, to get it looking good.

I like the effect you're going for.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    bf, I especially like the blimp image. Please correct me if I'm wrong, what I see is layering with a mask. I think I'm seeing a halo around the areas where the mask edges end. In particular I can see it around the columns and trees in the first shot, and the underbelly of the blimp in the second image. Masking like that is tricky and time consuming, if in fact that's what's going on. You really have to zoom in to the pixel level, I find, to get it looking good.

I like the effect you're going for.
    Man your good!!!! thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    That's correct. I been trying out alot of what I've been reading here, and fairly obivous I'm new at this post PS stuff, but I dig it thumb.gif

#1 image I worked in many layers, including hue/sat on the flag only. I also used several layers to try and bring out the acorns and underbelly writings in the top dome, without losing the detail in the marbel itself. Personally think I did just OK (the more I view it the better I like it).

#2 This doesn't cut it eek7.gif. I was trying to use the red filter/layer idea to bring out a more omminus (spelling, my bad) look to the clouds. I rushed this to post. Your 100% right this needs to redone with much more patience.

Thanks so much for your comments, you the man!! thumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    I've spent so many hours trying to make masks look right, I feel yer pain! Like I said, getting in at the pixel level is the best way, in my experience. That's when you notice there's not a clear line of delineation. It's quite liberating, actually.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Redid the Blimp
    Ok another try. This time I left the sky alone and use levels layer/mask on the ground and blimp, oh yeah I started with a slightly underexposed image. I also uped the sat on the same selection with another layer, then flattened and a tiny USM.

Whadya think

17452829-M.jpg